PaulC Tim pedal not working--need help to fix and figure out

Started by Angle Loss, March 03, 2007, 04:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angle Loss

Hello all (and Paul if you read this),
I have been the happy owner of a Tim and two Timmys for a while now.  The Timmys are used all the time, but my Tim only comes out every once and a while as needed, as it is not on my board.  I pulled it out today after not playing for a month or two, and it does not work.  It powers up, passes a bypassed signal, but no overdrive or signal engaged.  One odd thing is that I had the power supply plugged in with only an output cord going to the amp (guitar was not plugged into Tim input) and it was humming which seemed odd to me.  To restate, it was working perfectly the last time I played it, and I tried it with both battery and adaptor, and with different opamps. 

I could fix it, if someone could tell me where to start.  Any info would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Chris

Doug_H

Best bet is to contact Paul and get his help. We don't have the schematic, as it is Paul's design and not public domain, and without that, debugging it via an internet board is useless. Paul is a good guy. Contact him and I'll bet he'll help.

Angle Loss

I'm not looking for specifics about the circuit, but for general ideas as though any overdrive pedal wasn't working.  He is the only one selling pedals that I actually feel bad about calling, because he bends over backwards to help people out (which is great!) at the expense of working himself too hard.  Plus he is dang hard to get a hold of.  I need to know where to start looking basically. 

PaulC

The first thing I'd try is a jumper in the FX loop.  Sometimes the return switch can get funky (dirt/crud) and not make a good contact to pass signal.  This would have no effect in bypass.  If you put in a small jumper cable plugging the send into the return it'll short out the loop letting it pass signal again - if that ws the problem!

If that doesn't get it going you can send the pedal back to me.  I can flip it back in a day or two.

Email me!

PaulC
Heritage amps/Tim & timmy pedals
I like ham, and jam, and spam alot