The TrotskyDrive

Started by dano12, March 03, 2007, 07:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dano12

As mentioned in the Russian transistor thread, I scored a box of 1984 soviet KT312 transistors. Eager to try them out, I installed one in a modification of the electra overdrive and am really thrilled with the results. A 2N3904 works fine, but the KT312 adds a bit of high-end that approaches treble-booster territory. Not sure why it sounds so good, but it does.

This is a very nice light overdrive. I tried various diode combinations and settled on a 1N914/1N34A pair that plays very nicely with my changed cap values. Finally, a simple SPST switch acts as a diode lift turning the TrotskyDrive into a very nice clean boost.

Here's the schemo--it is a super simple build and I highly recommend giving it a try.

$uperpuma

I will have to use the 3904 but breadboard here I come :)
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

Meanderthal

Very cool! I may wanna try this with a GT311...
I am not responsible for your imagination.

KerryF

Any other substitutes such as Germ transistors.  I dont know much about the KT312, like if its Germ or not.  Any sound clips?

Kerry

Meanderthal

Yer gonna need a Russian Germanium. It absolutely must be Soviet made for best results. Otherwise you won't get that proletariate vibe. Heh...

Dragonfly

Interesting way to set up the gain pot.

Meanderthal

Yeah, that's like a starve...

markm

DDD

The Russian KT312 is a silicon transistor, not Ge at all ;-)
It is medium quality tranny with the relatively high leakage current and usual betta of about 30-40 (KT312A) and up to 60-100 (KT312B), if I remember properly.
So I wonder how could it function with the 2.2 MOhm resistor in the collector path. IMO there are couple mistakes in the chematic diagram.
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

George Giblet

Drawing error?  VR1 should go to the collector?

Gain is controlled by varying the collector resistor.

stm

Quote from: DDD on March 04, 2007, 04:14:23 AM
The Russian KT312 is a silicon transistor, not Ge at all ;-)
It is medium quality tranny with the relatively high leakage current and usual betta of about 30-40 (KT312A) and up to 60-100 (KT312B), if I remember properly.
So I wonder how could it function with the 2.2 MOhm resistor in the collector path. IMO there are couple mistakes in the chematic diagram.
I agree, VR1 should go to Q1-C instead of Q1-B.
Also, if the KT312 is such a low gain device, a rather common alternative would be a 2N2369 (hfe around 60-70), or even a piggyback pair or 2N3904's.

dano12

Sorry about the schematic error--VR1 should indeed go to the collector, not the base. Drawing is updated.

The KT312 is silicon. I have some Russian germaniums which I haven't tried yet.

DDD: what other mistakes did you find, I'd be happy to look them over.

Steben

Just some ideas.
With a 680ohm resistor, you have input impedance of at least 680*30(20,4k) to 680*100 (68k), depending on the gain.
That is, if the current is theoretically 1mA. At lowest settings, you have a gain of 3300/680 ~= 5 but lower impedance (10k to 30k). At highest settings, the gain is around 70, yet higher input impedance (100k to 300k). that should work fine with guitar volume.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Meanderthal

Damn, those are silicon? They come in the same flying saucer cans as the Germs...

And the gain is in the same neighborhood...

dano12

Quote from: Meanderthal on March 04, 2007, 09:28:55 AM
Damn, those are silicon? They come in the same flying saucer cans as the Germs...

And the gain is in the same neighborhood...

I ordered Kt312 silicons and Gt313a germaniums. Regarding your earlier question--yes I've saved all the cool zaftig packaging :)

I haven't figured out what the fourth leg on the 313's is.

Meanderthal

It's attached to the outer casing. Seems to be for shielding- just connect them with ground. While testing the GT311 I noticed that touching the 4th leg(with fingers, or to ground) does reduce noise. Kinda cool, but kind of a PITA too...

freddd

dano : what do you create your cool looking schematics with? They look really good!

markm

Quote from: freddd on March 04, 2007, 10:37:52 AM
dano : what do you create your cool looking schematics with? They look really good!

+1  8)

Seljer

I believe he's mentioned in the past that he uses Microsoft Visio (though he has had to most of the component symbols by himself)

Meanderthal

Love those curves... I can do em in photoshop, but it's a pain. But, I almost never use photoshop anymore- takes too long to load, too many whistles and bells... so my few drawings are rather blocky looking...

And, all my graphics software is more than 10 years old anyway...