A question for owners of Rebote, PT80, AD3208 and other DIY delays pedals...

Started by wondergibbon, February 08, 2007, 01:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wondergibbon

... what is the real-world delay time you can max out of your circuit without it getting too dirty to use without going in infinite repeats? We know what the spec times are, but waht are real world?

What mods have you made that incrase that time? I am aware of some, such as Mossapotomus Pt80, the rebote stereo mod, etc, but there must be more out there.

Referring to the rebote stereo mod, has anyone else pinpointed the breakout point to stereo mod the others?
-the wondergibbon.

(It is best not to ask- it is a long and not interesting story.)

Seljer

my rebote maxes out somewhere around 500ms, under 280ms or so you don't really notice the hiss, long enough to get some great reverby ambience going with the delays
(and if you use it over distortion then you don't notice it at all so all of the range is useable)

some people have lowered the cutoff frequings for the lowpass filters before and after the delay section to cut some of that hiss out (in exchange for loosing even more treble in the repeats)

Kornell

-My rebote 2.5 similar to Seljer's.

-My PT-80 same time, little hiss even at maximum delay time, but cuts off more treble than the rebote.

Auke Haarsma

may rebote stays clean to about 350 ms, some noise around 500 ms. I have modded it with a switch to max 2.5 seconds delay time. Crazy, noise, awesome!

choklitlove

my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

choklitlove

Auke Haarsma

On the tonepad layout I connected another delay pot. 50k orig pot and a 250k added pot. I also added a switch. This 2dpt switch switches between lug 3 of the pots. Lug 1 and 2 are always connected to the board. Ah...let me draw a pic:

I tested it yesterday, 250k is probably a bit too much, but if you can live with dirty repeats, you can get some lenghty delays (2.5 secs). 100-150k would be perfect.

When switching there was a pop, but only the first few switches. After a couple of times switching between the pots the pop was gone. The pop was most noticeable on high-gain distortion. Maybe a anti-pop resistor could fix this?

I've also added a two-colour-LED to the other 3 poles of the 2dpt.

hth

choklitlove

oh.   just a bigger pot...

i thought it might be a little more complicated.  i should have just tried that before i asked, because i was thinking that might be it.  thanks!

choklitlove

yup, that's what i needed.  just changed it to a 100K and it gets all of the delay times i want.  i love the noise with longer times!

george

I've built an AD-3208.   It has the "typical" Dm-2/DM-3/AD-80/AD-9 max delay of about 300ms, but I don't want anymore because it sounds so damn NICE the way it is.  With a compressor and a shaka tube running through it, I've got Dave Gilmour in a box.

In fact I had a DM-2 but sold it after I built the AD-3208 because the AD-3208 sounded exactly the same.  Great project and you can get a RTS circuit board from www.generalguitargadgets.com (JD, love your work)