String pluck detector??

Started by markusw, March 07, 2007, 06:15:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slacker

Sounds really cool. Looking forward to the updated schem, not that I'll understand it all.

markusw

QuoteLooking forward to the updated schem,

Will try to put it together this weekend...

Quotenot that I'll understand it all.

I think I should draw it a bit less confusing..... ;)

Markus

markusw

Here's an updated schem including the LED/LDR gain control, programmable divider and sine generator.
I hope it's not too confusing....

http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/PLL_AMS100_PD_NE555_current_sch_31-03-07.pdf

Regards,

Markus

rockgardenlove

That's quite a schem you have there...impressive.

StephenGiles

Greetings from sunny Mar del Plata, Argentina!! That looks a very interesting circuit.
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

markusw

Quote from: StephenGiles on April 03, 2007, 03:55:45 PM
Greetings from sunny Mar del Plata, Argentina!! That looks a very interesting circuit.

Regards to Argentina  :) Have a nice holiday !

Markus

markusw

Here's nother update for the schem:

http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/Harmonic_Ring_Modulator_current_sch_15-04-07.pdf

Still missing: a two-band tone control. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated  :)

Next steps will be to make sine and sqaure wave blendable so you can have everything from pure sine to square wave as a carrier. Also a distortion stage a la Ring Stinger for the dry signal as well as some blend pots for mixing dry, ring mod, and maybe distorted guitar signal still have to be done......

I was already thinking about which controls might be useful with expression pedal and what other outputs to add as jacks (e.g. the AMS100 pluck detector ouput). Any ideas?

Will try to do some soundsamples for the sine octaves in combination with the RingMod next week.....

Regards,

Markus

jrc4558

Quote from: markusw on April 15, 2007, 01:49:25 PM
Still missing: a two-band tone control. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated  :)
Although I'm utterly intimidated by the complexity of the schem (I'm just an amateur, amateur I tells ya!!!) I vote for Baxandall tone control, popularized by SansAMP, and seen i nthe schematic by Tonepad.comhttp://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=22

toneman

Hi M,
for a tone control-- i'd go 4 a PAIA 4730
it's a voltage controlled multimode filter..LowPass BandPass & HighPass.
all available at same time.!.  U can combine the HP & LP and make a NotchFilter also   ;)
Sine waves have nothing to filter, but the SQuare waves certainly do.

As for pedal controls---
changing the fuzz changes the timbre of the RingModulation.
Since your carrier, now, is an octave multiple of the fundamental,
using a VoltageControlledFilter (VCF) will allow control via a pedal.   ;)
So,....how about another 4730 here(??)  --after the fuzz...

Since U have most of the circuit(s) for an envelope follower, using an EF to "gate" the RingModulation
or the fuzz, might be interesting....(?)
Kind of like a hybrid of a Meatball-meets-RingO-thru-a-Filter-thingie...

I like the word "thingie" ......verrrrrry "technical".

How big did U say the pcb was going to be????    LOL!!!

afn
8)
Tone

• SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

markusw

Quotefor a tone control-- i'd go 4 a PAIA 4730
it's a voltage controlled multimode filter..LowPass BandPass & HighPass.

I forgot to say I need a "simple" two band tone control  ;)

QuoteI vote for Baxandall tone control, popularized by SansAMP,

Thanks for your vote  :icon_biggrin: This one gets my vote too :)

The 4730 is too complex for my purpose. I want to finish that thingy soon. So additional modules will have to wait  ;)
Nevertheless, thanks a lot for your help toneman!!

QuoteSine waves have nothing to filter,

The voltage controlled low pass (LM13700) works fine for getting a rather pure sine wave. I just need a "post-ring-mod" tone control... :)

QuoteHow big did U say the pcb was going to be?

Considering that the PCB will be pretty large with the circuit in it's present form I fear I have to skip additional " Meatball-meets-RingO-thru-a-Filter-thingie..." modules  ;)

Regards,

Markus

ignsk

Impressive project and realization.
I think I'll have to go through all that once or two times more.
Pretty thick indeed.

Sounds really good to me

thank you all
== May The Charge Be With You ==

markusw

Quote from: ignsk on April 16, 2007, 04:20:16 PM
Impressive project and realization.
I think I'll have to go through all that once or two times more.
Pretty thick indeed.

Sounds really good to me

thank you all

Glad you like it  :)

I think it would help if I made a summary on how the circuit works, or at least I think how it works  ;)

Markus

ignsk

Quote from: markusw on April 17, 2007, 04:27:13 AM
I think it would help if I made a summary on how the circuit works, or at least I think how it works  ;)

Obviously it would... as far as I'm concerned . I did not went through my second reading yet so I'm still stuck in the maze of those trigs PLL VCO S&H  ??? but I know I 'll make it(Wonderfull hope of the noob  ;) )
== May The Charge Be With You ==

loss1234

can anyone here help me understand this schematic? the lf398 doesnt make much sense to me (the pins are what?) and there is no input processing shown. is there a good low pass filter schematic i could put in front of this project?

any 4046 experts out there? (thats the main section i am interested in is the 4046 and diviiding part

thanks!!!

RGP

I'm very interseted in building Marcus W's Strring Pluck Detector. It sounds awsome.  What I'm trying to figure out is the connections to some of the ICs. Can anyone explain what pin numbers are used for the 4015 and the 4040?   

ElectricDruid

Here's the pinout for the 4040 and 4015:

Q outputs are easy, Clock inputs are pin 10 on the 4040, 1 and 9 on the 4015.

Be aware that that schematic is from a simulation. So the circuit might be tested in the sim alone, and it doesn't look entirely complete to me - or at least assumes quite a lot of stuff.

RGP

Thanks for your quick reply.  What confuses me are the labels Marucs used such as dsa, dsb etc. I/m not familiar with logic circuit labels. Any help you can give explaining this is greatly appreciated 

ElectricDruid

Quote from: RGP on June 04, 2023, 02:39:16 PM
Thanks for your quick reply.  What confuses me are the labels Marucs used such as dsa, dsb etc. I/m not familiar with logic circuit labels. Any help you can give explaining this is greatly appreciated
It's not a question of being familiar with logic circuits. It's just a question of matching up the labels on the schematic with the pinouts - and not all pinouts will use the same labels. If the schematic had pin numbers, we wouldn't have to bother, but as I said, it's a simulation drawing, not a "proper" schematic from some CAD/CAM software.

For the two you mention, we've got "DA" and "DB" on the 4015 pins 7 and 15, so I'd guess those are the ones. I don't know what they do exactly without looking up more about the 4015.

RGP

I looked closely at several similar schematics for the E&MM Harmony Generator and I think the 4040 connection labled R might be pin 11 & the one labled CP might be pin 10. On the 4015 CP might be pins 1&9 tied together. MR pins 6&14 tied together. I think you're right about the DSA & DSB being pins 7&15. One other thing. What do the small circles mean?       
I'm redrafting Marcus' schematic in an old graphics program I use. Once I have it done I'll find out how to post it here. Again, thanks much for your help.     

ElectricDruid

Ah, now, the small circles *are* a proper logic symbol. That is used to indicate an inversion. So for example, a NAND gate symbol (like the 4093) is the same as an AND gate (a curvy box thing) with an extra little circle stuck on the output:

In this case, we've got some little circles on some of the *inputs*, indicating that they're inverted logic AKA "Active low". That's pretty common on Chip Enable pins and Reset inputs.