Your favourite use for a wah shell...

Started by cakeworks, March 07, 2007, 08:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cakeworks

Well here's how it goes: I picked up a crybaby original for 50 Au at a pawn shop around the corner, still good condition and very much working. It was only after I true bypass modded it when i realised that i very very rarely use wah. I bought it because it was cheap, bit of an impulse buy really.
It's pretty much just gonna be an extra weight on my board considering that it isnt even that great-a wah.

The question here is: What other good uses are there for a wah shell? I'm not closed to the idea of a wah but to stick to wah i'd go for a different circuit anyway...
What do you guys use them for?

Thanks.
-Jack

Is that a plastic washing basket?

"Actually a Sterilite-branded storage tub.  Rubbermaid has better mojo, but it cost more" - Phaeton

Tubebass

My son is planning to put a PT-80 delay in a wah shell.
More dynamics????? I'm playing as loud as I can!

cakeworks

With the rate controlled by the wah? That would be a bit like a pitch shifter wouldn't it?
-Jack

Is that a plastic washing basket?

"Actually a Sterilite-branded storage tub.  Rubbermaid has better mojo, but it cost more" - Phaeton

petemoore

Speed control on something 'swirly', right now it's a SS Phaser.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jonathan perez

phaser, chorus, tremolo...and...uh...wah?

i think chorus was my favorite.
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

alderbody

uni-vibe...

either as an expression pedal, which means that you'll have to enclose the rest of the circuit in another box,
or as an "everything in" a-la jc maillet vibe.

The Tone God

I have a vibe in one and a trem in another. I have wanted to try a delay in one.

Andrew

Cardboard Tube Samurai

MKB

Volume pedal.  They are mighty addictive, once you get used to one you can't play without it.

petemoore

Volume pedal mod for wah...?
  Wah pot is has a 3 wire assignment, I haven't looked, perhaps a wah volume mod could be applied to other type circuits.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jakenold

Quote from: petemoore on March 08, 2007, 08:56:39 AM
  Volume pedal mod for wah...?
  Wah pot is has a 3 wire assignment, I haven't looked, perhaps a wah volume mod could be applied to other type circuits.

I don't think that's worth the hassle. With the short sweep and linear potentiometer, it actually works worse than using the volume pot in your guitar. IMHO.  ;)

R.G.

If you grind away the support post for the original wah PCB, the NeoVibe PCB fits in there with a little mechanical work.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

disto

how about converting it into a volume or expression pedal, or both it could be easily switched between the two. Then you could build chorus, delay, trem or whatever with the option to have them controled via an expression pedal.

Mark Hammer

Delay signal fader so you can blend in echoes and fade them out.

I'll mention yet one more time that there are hundreds of thousands of cheap racing-game controllers out there for very little money.  These will come with a steering wheel type gamepad controler and a floor unit with two spring-loaded pedals, all to plug into your game port on your PC.  The ones I've seen have a 50k pot in the gas and brake pedals.  Of course since "game ports" are getting rarer and rarer, and displaced by USB ports, such units are essentially legacy technology and dirt cheap as a result.  I bought two of these units for under $20@.

Note that they are spring loaded to behave just like your gas and brake pedal, such that when you take your foot off they return to the upright (%^&*ed-back) position.  As such, while they are useful, you'll need to think about what you want to use them for in order for them to BE useful.  For example, if you want one to be a modulation-speed control, then maybe you'll have to decide if you want the default position to be the desired modulation rate and pushing it forward slows things down from there, or perhaps speeds things up from there.  If the pedals were like modulation wheel on synths where they always returned to the middle position, you wouldn't have to make that choice, but sadly these always come back to the starting point.  Your choice as user is what the starting point is supposed to be.

Happily, though, they generally don't require much pressure to use and the two pedals are close enough that if you wear anything above a size 6 shoe you can push both at once.  Not something you'd wanna do if you wear driving, but perfectly acceptable if you're playing music. :icon_lol:

Dragonfly

Quote from: R.G. on March 08, 2007, 10:57:17 AM
If you grind away the support post for the original wah PCB, the NeoVibe PCB fits in there with a little mechanical work.

Hmmm...that gets a guy thinking... :)

AC

disto

Quote from: Mark Hammer on March 08, 2007, 12:32:43 PM
Delay signal fader so you can blend in echoes and fade them out.

I'll mention yet one more time that there are hundreds of thousands of cheap racing-game controllers out there for very little money..... Note that they are spring loaded to behave just like your gas and brake pedal, such that when you take your foot off they return to the upright (%^&*ed-back) position.

wow why have i never thought of that, could bring some interesting possibilities, the only problem alot of the foot pedals are positioned to be used seated isnt this a bit of a weird angle to use?

Paul Marossy

QuoteVolume pedal.  They are mighty addictive, once you get used to one you can't play without it.

Yeah, I love volume pedals!

markm

.....a doorstop!  :icon_lol:
sorry, I really had to......

disto

Quote from: markm on March 08, 2007, 03:50:53 PM
.....a doorstop!  :icon_lol:
sorry, I really had to......
ha ha they are heavy enough

just a thought, why not keep its sort of modular, my GCB crybaby has a little clip to connect the wires to the board you could make interchangeable boards.
can be seen at the top of this picture

QSQCaito

First of all, sorry for the OT :D

Quote from: Mark Hammer on March 08, 2007, 12:32:43 PM
Happily, though, they generally don't require much pressure to use and the two pedals are close enough that if you wear anything above a size 6 shoe you can push both at once.  Not something you'd wanna do if you wear driving, but perfectly acceptable if you're playing music. :icon_lol:

As a car lover, i have to clarify this :P. If you were driving, for fun, or racing.. you'd actually be doing this. Maybe not with an automatic transmission car, but yes with a manual. In order to keep RPM high in all moment, and engine giving all of its power at all times.. when you're about to enter a corner you'd be braking with your car, lets say in 3rd gear. Brake brake. with the other foot step on the clutch, and while stepping on the brake you'd give the accelerator a push, in order for the 2nd gear to engage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuoZeuSgEj4&mode=related&search=

Music to my ears :D

PS really sorry, but gotta do it ;)

BTW: I'd put a delay it's lot of fun to change the speed rate while playing, lottts of fun.
D.A.C