Deluxe Memory Man

Started by Young_Lions, March 09, 2007, 09:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Young_Lions

How do you make a EHX Deluxe Memory Man warmer, more tape echo - ish?

thanks so much.

Rodgre

How much warmer do you want? I think that the 5-knob Deluxe Memory Man is hands down, my favorite desert island pedal. I couldn't imagine it sounding any better than it does. To me, it sounds every bit as warm as tape echo does. Maybe different, but still warm. I get goosebumps just thinking about how sweet that box sounds.

Having an input gain control can really spice things up if you drive it hot. Otherwise, I wouldn't mess with it.

Roger

mojotron

I think the only improvement I would make is all TL072s - if you don't have an older one, this mod makes a hugh improvement to the sound, and a 3PDT for true bypass.

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

WelshWonder

I've used my Deluxe Memory Man for about 10 months now. It is a nice delay but my problem with it is that it can tend to burn out components in my amp. About 6 months ago it burned out the FX loop board on my old TSL100. I got it fixed so no bad damage done. Now I'm using the DSL100 and it done the same to that! I put it through the front of the amp now which is not ideal but can't use it any other way and it still overdrives the quite a lot, the LED is blinking like mad and if I got a TS808 before it, it's more or less constantly lit. I'm going to build the rebote 2.5 soon and if that performs better, I'll be getting rid of the DMM.

puretube

Young_Lions

I actually do have some NOS TL072s on hand I was thinking of putting in there.  I run mine at the end of my chain like this =

Tuner, Compressor, Full Drive 2, Pulsar, DMM into the input of my trusty narrow pannel Bassman and it does fine, I've never
heard anything about it burning up components, I'm not even sure how it would do that... Did the tech who fixed your Marshalls
give any kind of explination for that, I'm curious as to why it would do that... thanks.

Thomas P.

Quote from: Young_Lions on March 10, 2007, 02:55:44 PM
I actually do have some NOS TL072s on hand I was thinking of putting in there. 

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D sorry if this sounds arrogant but this is the funniest thing I've read here in a long time
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j
...and then there was light

StephenGiles

"I actually do have some NOS TL072s on hand I was thinking of putting in there."

Why? They will not sound any different from a 4558, 1458, 358 etc I promise you!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Young_Lions

hey, that's what the guy at the counter told me they were, I just needed the chips, and I'm too new at this to know the difference.  So if I'm incorrect in what I said,
how bout someone fill me in after you're done laughing. 

Thanks.

mojotron

Quote from: Young_Lions on March 10, 2007, 11:27:48 PM
hey, that's what the guy at the counter told me they were, I just needed the chips, and I'm too new at this to know the difference.  So if I'm incorrect in what I said,
how bout someone fill me in after you're done laughing. 

Thanks.
Don't sweat it, the TL072 is a pretty common part - the best place to get them is at SmallBear or Mouser.

There's really no benefit to buying any NOS opamps, people get ripped off with the "NOS" bit on those. It happens a lot, the "NOS" thing is generally a way of getting more money for something - but NOS is only significant with Ge transistors and 12AX7s IMHO.

The TL072 has JFETs on the input and the slew rate is 10X of the average bipolar - which seems to preserve the highs a little better and have a bit better fidelity - giving a bit more responsive sound, and the TL072 are lower noise than the 4558/bipolar opamps too. On the DMM a lot of people have swapped these out and said they got a better sound - this might have the most to do with noise, but I know I loved mine.

StephenGiles

"TL072 are lower noise than the 4558/bipolar opamps too" - I doubt if the difference can be heard at 15v or above.

kugua

anyone have make one?: Deluxe Memory Man.I wanna make one.but has not pcb file. :icon_lol:
no

trevize

my stereo memory man is non true bypass and with an opa2134 now it's way quieter (in terms of noise) has a slightly better sound and it's a good buffer also if you have long cables from the pedalboard to the amp.

StephenGiles

Quote from: trevize on March 11, 2007, 11:02:06 AM
my stereo memory man is non true bypass and with an opa2134 now it's way quieter (in terms of noise) has a slightly better sound and it's a good buffer also if you have long cables from the pedalboard to the amp.

I am truly surprised as any noise in this unit will come from the BBD, and I don't recall any major preamplification. Ton - any views?

WelshWonder

Quote from: Young_Lions on March 10, 2007, 02:55:44 PM
I actually do have some NOS TL072s on hand I was thinking of putting in there.  I run mine at the end of my chain like this =

Tuner, Compressor, Full Drive 2, Pulsar, DMM into the input of my trusty narrow pannel Bassman and it does fine, I've never
heard anything about it burning up components, I'm not even sure how it would do that... Did the tech who fixed your Marshalls
give any kind of explination for that, I'm curious as to why it would do that... thanks.

I know it is a strange one. He didn't give me an explanation just said whatever I had been running into the FX had burned out the FX board. The only thing I had going through there was the DMM, so I figured it was that. Strangely it has done the same with my DSL100. That's all I get is a crackle coming out of it and no power.

puretube

Quote from: StephenGiles on March 11, 2007, 01:40:04 PM
Quote from: trevize on March 11, 2007, 11:02:06 AM

I am truly surprised as any noise in this unit will come from the BBD, and I don't recall any major preamplification. Ton - any views?

the schemo circulating around the web doesn`t work...  :icon_eek: