Hammond transformers Australia

Started by yobleduwop, March 14, 2007, 07:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yobleduwop

Does any one from Australia have a good source for Hammond transformers? Or someone who can wind transformers the same?
Every where i look seems to be a whole lot more expensive compared to the states, i know shippings alot but i price a full set for a tube amp from America and from an Australian company to be $259Aud from the states and $507Aud from here
Any ideas?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I doubt you will find a better price in Australia, unfortunately. There are people here who can rewind a burnt-out transformer, but so far as I know, while it is possible to get power transformers made here, any requiring special silicon grain-oriented steel - forget it.

grapefruit

If you know what you need you could try Harbuch. They may have a standard model that will suit. They generally wind them as they are ordered but have many models ready to go.

As Paul said, it may not be any cheaper than getting it from the states.

Stew.

ISC

For Hammond transformers try EVATCO http://www.evatco.com.au/index.htm or you could contact Nik at Ceriatone http://www.ceriatone.com/index.htm ,he is in Malaysia and will sell you the whole amp or just the transformers, prices are very good and his service is great. hope this helps :icon_biggrin:
ISC

yobleduwop

Ive tried Harbuch in the past but haven't known enough of what i'm talking about to get a proper quote and he wont "copy" and Hammond which is understandable, I've emailed Evatco but they're out till the start of April so when they come back ill try and get a bulk discount or something, Thanks Guys

grapefruit

Do you know of any commercial amps that use the trannies you want? I could see how much they'd be as spares if you like. I'm a tech.

Regards,
Stew.

grapefruit

Wes Components in Sydney have the Hammond 1615 Output tranny suitable for use in Fender Twin and Reverb. I only have trade price but It's pretty cheap.

Where in Aus are you. I can get one up if you're in Brisbane..

Stew.

yobleduwop

I'm only starting out but i didn't want to rack up hundreds of dollars in shippings fees so i planning to make a few amps some simple and then some a bit harder but order everything at once:
1:ax84 P1
2:Fender 5e3 deluxe
3: Matchless Spitfire
4: Matchless Dc-30

are there any commercial trannies that would fit into them?
Thanks Joel