new to LEDs please help

Started by zeppelinchld, March 14, 2007, 10:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zeppelinchld

i need to know how to wire 2 LEDs into a pedal using a dpdt switch and i want both to come on at the same time

John Lyons

Just double the connections.

Wire up both LEDs the same as the single LED. Split the +9v connection to two resistors (usually 4.7K but anything close will work fine) and then from each resistor to the anode of each LED, then connect ground to the LEDs with the switch. When the switch is in the on position both LEDs get ground connected and turn on. So basically all you are doing is adding anoter resistor from +9v to a separate LED.
Make sence?

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

zeppelinchld

ya i guess im still kinda confused about which lugs on the dpdt swithc everything connects to.
its a rocker switch if that changes anything.

sorry for being a noob.

KerryF

Well you cant hook up true bypass and LED with a DPDT.  You need a 3PDT switch for that.

Heres some great switch diagrams:
http://www.geofex.com/FX_images/stompsw.gif

John Lyons

Well...he didn't say he needed true bypass, maybe he only needs SPST and then adding the LEDs for indication...?

Let us know what the switch is for Zep.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

zeppelinchld

what exactly is true bypass?
i seen alot about just dont know what it is

sorry all ive done before is make the beginner pedal

zeppelinchld

its for a fuzz face by the way. i read a second ago that it had a different type of millenium bypass

R.G.

Quotewhat exactly is true bypass?
Do yourself a favor, a big leg up. Go read everything at GEO, http://www.geofex.com. It's not all at your level, but a lot f it will start to make sense. You'll save yourself a lot of time and questions.

In this case "The Technology of Bypasses" will tell you about true bypass and the other kinds as well.

QuoteWell you cant hook up true bypass and LED with a DPDT.  You need a 3PDT switch for that.
Well you can't hook up true bypass and LED with only a DPDT. You need either a DPDT and the Millenium Bypass or a 3PDT for that.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

aron

The millennium bypass is great. I've used it a lot -  the first version too.

Barcode80

i just wire LEDs in series when i want multiples...