Audio Transformer Design Manual by Robert G. Wolpert

Started by hgamal, March 15, 2007, 07:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hgamal

Does anybody knows where I can get a copy of this book "Audio Transformer Design Manual" by Robert G. Wolpert?
Haroldo Gamal

R.G.

I bought mine directly from Wolpert. It's self published, photocopies and a plastic comb binding. I don't know whether he still sells them or not.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=467

is a thread on audio transformer/inductor design references, including a phone# etc for Wolpert, no idea if it is current.
Radiotron Designer's Handbook has a lot of stuff, it's relatively easy to get that, or the reprint, or the CD.

R.G.

It's worth mentioning that Wolpert's manual is written at a level that expects that the reader is already experienced with power transformer design. It's not a beginner's book by any means.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Phorhas

Electron Pusher

R.G.

QuoteIs It a good read?
It's hard for me to tell that about normal humans.

I'm a reading addict, and more strangely to real humans, a technical nonfiction reading addict. I ... like... reading textbooks. I commonly read "Machinery's Handbook" for maybe an hour at a time. Hot stuff in there about the correct rake angle and cutting shape for metal cutting tools and the heat treatment of phosphor bronze, not to mention allowances for press fit tolerances.

I liked it a lot. But I had already designed both power and audio transformers for a living for several years. There are passages where it says things like "Fit the windings to the available window, leaving about 12-15% margins", assuming that you know what margins are and how to fit windings to windows. Not to mention the stuff on longitudinal balance, which was new to me after years of transformer design.

I very much recommend that anyone who really wants to learn transformer design to first get "Transformers for Electronics Circuits" and RDH4. Once you understand the theory in TFEC and RDH4, the stuff in Wolpert's book will make more sense.
R.G.

MKB

Quote from: R.G. on March 16, 2007, 11:11:06 AM
QuoteIs It a good read?
I'm a reading addict, and more strangely to real humans, a technical nonfiction reading addict. I ... like... reading textbooks. I commonly read "Machinery's Handbook" for maybe an hour at a time. Hot stuff in there about the correct rake angle and cutting shape for metal cutting tools and the heat treatment of phosphor bronze, not to mention allowances for press fit tolerances.
Know what you mean there, have been enduring much ribbing from bandmates after dashing into a used bookstore before a gig and coming out with old EE books and one about nuclear engineering.  But they seem to stop the jokes when their stuff breaks and needs fixing..

Here's a link to a very nice book for download, Reference Data for Radio Engineers:  http://www.pmillett.com/Books/FTR_ref_data.pdf  This book has a great section on transformer design in chapter 5, basically a follow-the-numbers approach for power tranny design.  Unfortunately the one online is the second edition, I have a hardcover of the fourth edition that goes into the same detail for OT design.  A tranny guru I worked with suggested it as apparently it is one of the few books explaining the difference between OT designs for AB1 and AB2 amps.

R.G.

Interesting. My hardcover RDRE is second edition. Now I have a new quest.
R.G.

black mariah

It's official. RG is a cyborg sent from the future. :icon_mrgreen:

MKB: Thanks for that link!

hgamal

Quote from: R.G. on March 15, 2007, 10:39:39 PM
I bought mine directly from Wolpert. It's self published, photocopies and a plastic comb binding. I don't know whether he still sells them or not.

The Wolpert Site www.rgwdesign.com, where we could buy one, is not working anymore!
Haroldo Gamal

Ronsonic

QuoteIs It a good read?

I liked it a lot. But I had already designed both power and audio transformers for a living for several years. There are passages where it says things like "Fit the windings to the available window, leaving about 12-15% margins", assuming that you know what margins are and how to fit windings to windows. Not to mention the stuff on longitudinal balance, which was new to me after years of transformer design.

I very much recommend that anyone who really wants to learn transformer design to first get "Transformers for Electronics Circuits" and RDH4. Once you understand the theory in TFEC and RDH4, the stuff in Wolpert's book will make more sense.

Yeah, I read like a geek, too.

I live with RDH4 on the shelf at my dayjob shop. One of the guys had his girlfriend by one day, she was getting bored and demanded something to read so I handed that to her. She found the chapter on emissive cathode coatings and dug in. Man, that was hot.

Ron
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

MKB

Quote from: Ace on March 16, 2007, 04:23:39 PM
Quote from: R.G. on March 16, 2007, 03:13:45 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Reference-Data-for-Radio-Engineers-Intl-Telp-Telg-1956_W0QQitemZ330099132729QQcategoryZ378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
That's the one!!  As of today still at $5, no bids.  One of you guys better man up and buy that!!

Another very useful book is Electronic Transformers and Circuits by Reuben Lee, still in print.  But they are very expensive either new or used.  I paid $130 for a new one at work.  This is supposed to be the ultimate transformer design reference out there however.

Ace

Quote from: MKB on March 17, 2007, 11:33:13 AM
Quote from: Ace on March 16, 2007, 04:23:39 PM
Quote from: R.G. on March 16, 2007, 03:13:45 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Reference-Data-for-Radio-Engineers-Intl-Telp-Telg-1956_W0QQitemZ330099132729QQcategoryZ378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
That's the one!!  As of today still at $5, no bids.  One of you guys better man up and buy that!!

Another very useful book is Electronic Transformers and Circuits by Reuben Lee, still in print.  But they are very expensive either new or used.  I paid $130 for a new one at work.  This is supposed to be the ultimate transformer design reference out there however.
http://www.pmillett.com/Books/Lee_1955_Electronic_Transformers_and_Circuits.pdf