Magnetic offset on Wah Inductors.

Started by alderbody, March 19, 2007, 03:51:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alderbody

Quote from: R.G. on March 28, 2007, 03:22:27 PM
Yes - it IS the same thing as I found in the 'magic' inductor. It's done by sticking a magnet onto the core, but it is the same effect. It causes the core to be closer to the edge of its magnetic linear range in one direction than another.

Maybe that's why the Fulltone inductor didn't quite like the magnet. (or i didn't like the sound...)
It is said that Mike Fuller made them using the 'same' materials as the originals,
so the core must have already been "slightly magnetised". It sounds awesome anyway!...

That Yellow Fasel produced the most clearly audible difference, so i stuck with it.
I believe i could find some more useful sounds if i experiment more with the other inductors.
Anyway, there are 5 more polepieces in that pickup and 3 more inductors in my Wah...   :icon_wink:

What's really clever is finding out that a fender pole piece is enough. That's sweet.

Yes, the guy who originally experimented with the jazzmaster polepiece was inspired!
I just followed his idea and used a ...Strat polepiece.  :icon_mrgreen:
btw, it is from a 1990 Am.Std. Strat. Very easy to remove, very easy to re-install.
(just mark one side, so in case of putting it back there won't be any polarity mis-match issues)
Don't try it with vintage style pickups, unless they are Very Dead.   :o

Anybody want to bet on how long it takes Dunlop to put out a "Magic Magnet" version?

Hehe... how about dead Fender pickups showing up on ebay?... 

Get them while you can....   :icon_mrgreen:

manson

I just installed a Halo type inductor in my wah yesterday. Can you give it a try on yours too? Nice trick!

enigmur

How strong does the magnet have to be? Assuming you dont HAVE to use a Fender pickup pole...

I had a go today with a fridge magnet and had no difference in sound, possibly it was too weak?
Quote from: jlullo on May 02, 2007, 12:37:12 AM
i have to get my hands on some of your germs.  very soon.
Anywhere but here, that would seem odd...

Paul Marossy

QuoteI had a go today with a fridge magnet and had no difference in sound, possibly it was too weak?

Yep, that's much too weak to do anything that you can actually hear.

enigmur

Cool ill swipe a magnet from out of a hard drive from work :D
Quote from: jlullo on May 02, 2007, 12:37:12 AM
i have to get my hands on some of your germs.  very soon.
Anywhere but here, that would seem odd...

alderbody

Quote from: enigmur on March 29, 2007, 05:30:21 PM
How strong does the magnet have to be? Assuming you dont HAVE to use a Fender pickup pole...

A typical Fender polepiece (Alnico V) has a magnetic capacity of about 20-25 Gauss.

Mine being a 1990's model should have undergone a slight de-gaussing, so do the math...

manson

I tried it on my wah, but didn't like it with the Halo. The effect was very audible indeed. I had a small piece of magnet and stuck that on top and later to the side. The sound changed with every angle i tried, even to a sort of Donald Duck like wah! Funny but not very useable. Maybe there's a sweet spot I didn't find yet, or it just works best with Fasels.

alderbody

Quote from: manson on March 30, 2007, 05:14:49 AM
I tried it on my wah, but didn't like it with the Halo.
Maybe there's a sweet spot I didn't find yet, or it just works best with Fasels.

I didn't like it so much with any halo type (Fulltone, Banzai) inductor, either.

Maybe it's the ferrous core of that type that has already got some magnetic properties, so adding an external interference is not that good.
It might also require a more careful experimentation on finding the "sweet spot", as you said...

I want to try it in mine some day.

But it surely suits the Fasel.

GFR

There's a mod at Pisotones where they use "anuncios flexibles magnéticos de TelePizza" :)

http://pisotones.com/Tri-Wah/Wah.htm

Scroll down to "Modificando el Inductor"

here's another inductor mod:

http://www.pisotones.com/Articulos/CrybabyMOD/Totufo/ModInduct.htm

alderbody

Quote from: GFR on March 30, 2007, 08:38:22 AM
There's a mod at Pisotones where they use "anuncios flexibles magnéticos de TelePizza" :)

http://pisotones.com/Tri-Wah/Wah.htm

Scroll down to "Modificando el Inductor"

here's another inductor mod:

http://www.pisotones.com/Articulos/CrybabyMOD/Totufo/ModInduct.htm

cool, but i have to use the auto-translate for that page...   :icon_frown:

momo

I just tried one of these computer hard drive body magnets, they are a bit strong for the size, but this one is a keeper! the voicing is more prominent and defined but still manageble level wise.
here is a picture...
"Alas to those who die with their song still in them."

Paul Marossy

That hard drive magnet idea is pretty cool, too!  :icon_cool:

alderbody

That surely sounds interesting...

and it sounded good on the Halo-type?

i have some HDDs i could "borrow" the magnets from...

:icon_cool:

jonathan perez

my mom is a master crafter...

shes got magets!

going to raid her fridge tomorrow, then find magnets...

then eat more...
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

momo

I have not tried the pole pieces so I cant compare, but im sure that the hard drive magnet is stronger than the pup poles. I had tried with a lid magnet and that was too strong, it reacted like a huge treble booster, the sound was good for a booster but that was it. So this hard drive magnet works great, you get more defined and a bit more pronounced voicing but still managble as a wha. This will be my setup from now on!

Note: the magnet is strong enough to stay put on the side of the inductor without falling. I tried different places on the inductor and it made no difference in the sound.
"Alas to those who die with their song still in them."

alderbody

great find momo!

i'll try it in my "resonance" pedal which is parked wah config, which i use as a soft treble booster.

I believe, if i stick a stronger than a pickup magnet on that inductor, i'll move it closer to what i use it for...

btw, the magnet on my Fasel is definitely a keeper, and yes the magnets attach on halo type inductors and they don't need any mounting.