SEVERE OT: MTV Musicless TeleVision

Started by Andy, September 16, 2003, 01:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warpfingers

Up here in the soon to be frozen north the stations we have devoted to 24hr commercials are known as MuchMusic and MuchMoreMusic and i gotta tell ya... those titles could not be less accurate at describing the pablum that is served up.

"All about money, ain't a damn thing funny..."

Oh wait, lemme find a fave quote of mine...

"The Music Business is a cruel and shallow money trench... a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
---Hunter S. Thompson :lol:

There are great people making great music, just gotta go get it.

Internet radio stations are a good place to find good stuff.

Rory

Everyone should write their respective congressmen(women?).  The U.S. government and the FCC is trying to allow large media corporations to control a vast majority of the airwaves in any given area.  The set number now is a staggering 35% (most companies are already violating this), but they're trying to push de-regulation to a rediculous 45% per area (read: 50-60%).  I don't think that is fair, nor American considering that in order to control that much of an area, you've got to either buy, or get rid of the other "competition" (read: points of view) in that area.  If you guys think its bad now, just wait.  Businesses already have more rights than people, especially middle and lower class citizens.  I think Marx was onto something...

gez

Although the licence fee is a pain in the arse, that's one thing I like about the BBC; they can get away with putting out non-commercial stuff over the airwaves - and they do! (see above link)
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Ge_Whiz

A lot of people groan at ol' Rolf H, but he's a great performer and musician  - heck, he even made 'Stairway to Heaven' into a good song  :P

What's needed is a music channel that sorts out the best of pop and rock from the dross and gives us a chance to see - and hear - how it was done. Well, duh, guys - ain'tcha tried VH1 Classic?

Doug H

Quote from: gez
To listen to some of the best (and worse?) new music around, check out Mixing It every week.  It's an eclectic mix of stuff, and some shows are truly awful, but quite often you'll hear some astoundingly good, and original music!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/world/mixingit.shtml

Thanks for the link. That's the most refreshing music program I've heard in a long time. Reminds me of one I was 14 and used to listen to "underground" FM, where they never played the same song twice in one week, let alone one day. Heard new stuff all the time back then. This gives me that same feeling.

I listened to Andy Kershaw and loved it so much I tracked down and orderd a copy of the Abyssinia Infinite CD. New music, I love it!

Doug

gez

Andy Kershaw's show is excellent.  Earlier on in the year he featured a jam session between Robert Plant and Ali Farka Toure - cool!
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter