Where can I get "Klon Centaur" Schematics?

Started by Izzy, March 29, 2007, 08:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izzy

Does anyone have schematics for Klon Centaur ?

MartyMart

Try emailing them   :icon_mrgreen:

I think that no one has it and due to the fact he's a "one product" company, no one would be
willing to post it either !
It wouldn't be "right" to do so .....
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

ulysses

according to the undercurrent i caught a whif of - clay jones reverse engineered one several years ago

people on this board have it - but are reluctant to give it out.

i guess you have to build up enough trust/friendship before they will share it with you.

i was looking for it recently. no-one was willing to give it to me.

from what i understand is - it is an amalgamation of various circuits - something like a mxr boost with mods on the clipping and custom tone controls..

after watching videos clips on youtube - i put it down to hype and gave up on it.

its amazing how all the super-hyped circuits turn out to be plain old circuits with a few mods  ;)

im going to build the amz boost instead - when i get enough time.

cheers
ulysses

edit:typo

Izzy

Hmm...Sounds hard to get it.

But if anyone is willing to send it to me and wants to remain anonymous then its ok.  :D
Send it to hardrockzone3@hotmail.com.

Thanks in advance. ;D

Bernardduur

Build a Crank (Mark Hammer)

My friend has a Klon and when I put the Crank next to it it was so the same soundwise

I love that Crank; it removed my old Colorsound Overdriver from my board :)
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

smnm

JimRayden

Quote from: smnm on March 29, 2007, 09:47:13 AM
Quote from: Izzy on March 29, 2007, 08:33:15 AM
Does anyone have schematics for Klon Centaur ?
Try Behringer

Haha, good one. ;D

Just a side note to Izzy. Don't go around asking for schematics of Centaurs, Tims and Fuzz Factories. You'll only get some witty remarks and perhaps make someone show you disrespect. Lecture about ethics may follow.

Now, asking for the basic structure of a pedal or asking suggestions for a similiar sounding one is a much better idea.

---------
Jimbo

Rodgre

I wrote a big post about the whole "I'm new here. I want to build myself a XXXXX. Do you have a schematic?"/"How dare you ask for that circuit!" thing. Better to just leave it alone....

I will say that while I might be curious about a Centaur or other "holy grail" pedals which are shrouded in mystery because of the goop on their boards, or the goop on THIS board ;) I'm content with finding other circuits that do what I feel these other pedals (which are rarely as cool as the mystery is - still curious about the Bartolini Tube-It and the Rivera Buf booster, but eh....I got more than enough circuits to play with).

So go get a Zoom Power Drive pedal for $50. I think it's the total sleeper clean boost pedal. No, it's not DIY, and I'm not about to reverse engineer one. My time is worth more than the $50 I paid for mine, and it's not leaving my pedalboard to get reverse engineered! :)

DIY? I love love love love the Fetzer for a slightly dirty boost. Love the AMZ minibooster in all sorts of positions- different spots on the pedalboard, PART of other circuits to goose them, etc.

A question I will post, which I'm sure I could find if I searched.... I like the Zoom because with the gain at 0, it had a full sounding boost which has a great bass and treble control. What are people's favorites for CLEAN BOOST with active treble and bass?  I used to use an Anderton Clarifier circuit back in the day. I also used a Paia Dual Filter Voicing Unit in my rack WAY back in the day. I love the simplicity of having one small pedal that beefs up the bottom end while giving a boost. My AC30 top-boostLOVES having the bottom boosted before it.

Roger

Gus

As a person who has heard one.  It does what it does well.  Guitar and amp and player matter.

Sir H C

No one (well Maestro for their sustainer) out goops Ampeg:

Bernardduur

Mark Hammer

Think about how much it cost Bill Finnegan to have that proprietary chassis cast for him.  This is no Hammond assembly line box bought for $4 a pop at OEM rates.  This is something he either has to make himself, or else commission an order of several thousand (plus mould development costs) in order to have available.  Now imagine how many units he has to sell to recoup those costs.  I'm just talking abut the chassis, not the contents.

The civil thing to do is let Bill sell his Klons for whatever price he asks and not invade his turf or make the design public in any way.  The guy did something brave by ponying up the dough to make a unique and elegant box.  It's the kind of thing you honour.

Bernadduur..... :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface:  Thanks.  I must emphasize that I have absolutely NO idea if there is anything similar in the circuitry of the Klon Centaur and my Crank pedal.  I was aiming for the same overall sonic objective, but that is all.  If there is any similarity in even the most minute aspect, it is pure coincidence.

joegagan

good point on the enclosure for the KLON

it is a very old process, sand casting.

Bill told me years ago that it is very labor intensive and he might do it differently had he known how much work it would be. At the time he was casting them himself, wouldn't be surprised if that is still the case (pun)

I think it is a beautiful enclosure and fitting for his overall quality and uniqueness
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

modsquad

I know why its so darn expensive given that enclosure.  It looks military spec.  His website leaves a lot to be desired though.  To me from the reviews it sounds like some sort of tube driver without the tube.  I would be interested to hear one though.   The curious thing is that one review states that its noisy. 

stan
"Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light, not because he is afraid of the dark but because the dark is afraid of him"

Bernardduur

Quote from: Mark Hammer on March 29, 2007, 05:08:58 PM
Bernadduur..... :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface:  Thanks.  I must emphasize that I have absolutely NO idea if there is anything similar in the circuitry of the Klon Centaur and my Crank pedal.  I was aiming for the same overall sonic objective, but that is all.  If there is any similarity in even the most minute aspect, it is pure coincidence.

Man, your pedal ROCKS!

There is this very famous blues player in my city who NEEDED the Crank; never seen a guy as happy with a pedal as he was!

He made some cool samples of him with the pedal; I'll try to make em available

Bernardduur

Quote from: modsquad on March 29, 2007, 05:34:41 PM
I know why its so darn expensive given that enclosure.  It looks military spec.  His website leaves a lot to be desired though.  To me from the reviews it sounds like some sort of tube driver without the tube.  I would be interested to hear one though.   The curious thing is that one review states that its noisy. 

stan

It is dependent on guitar as amp.

I found it quite bad sounding with a Les Paul through it but LOVED it with my Tele and my EKO; it really completed my Dumble

fixr1984

Quote from: Bernardduur on March 29, 2007, 05:37:34 PM
Quote from: modsquad on March 29, 2007, 05:34:41 PM

stan

It is dependent on guitar as amp.

I found it quite bad sounding with a Les Paul through it but LOVED it with my Tele and my EKO; it really completed my Dumble

I thought my Father in law was the only one using an EKO. (closet full of them).LOL

Bernardduur

I found my EKO in the trash (EKO Tramp II)

Someone did some slaughter with it; now it is nice again and plays super! The thing that really brought it to life was replacing the humbuckers in em with some single coils (under a humbucker cover)

aron

I think the problem is that no one has ever verified any of the schematics that were floating around anyway so we have no idea how accurate they are (if they are).

About the only things I remember are:

Germanium diodes (which totally surprised me) - like an MXR distortion+ with 2 Ge clippers.
I believe it had a blend design which is what started a lot of the "blending" pedals - dual gang pot I believe.
Higher voltage - 18V I think - see the Shaka HV.

Those were the main points I remember.

Sound is totally subjective - I liked the HotCake a lot more - many have written me and said the opposite. Of course I don't like the Orange Sunshine that I have and others think it sounds great.

fixr1984

I think you are right about the dual gang pot but
look like its just 9v (sorry if posting the picture was wrong)