Basic Pedal DC Power Question

Started by Buendia, April 05, 2007, 10:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buendia

OK, so I built the IC Buffer pedal (the layout and schematic are easily found on GeneralGuitarGadgets.com) and I want to omit the LED (and the resistor, of course) as well as the battery snap as I made it a very tiny enclosure and only want to use DC power. Omitting the LED hasn't been a problem, but I had to include the battery snap in order for the circuit to work at all.

Any help would be really appreciated because I intend to make quite a few things in very small enclosures and plan to eliminate the battery snap.

Thanks in advance.

Buendia
-Buendia

--
"Remember, old friend," he said to him. "I'm not shooting you. It's the revolution that is shooting you."

-Colonel Aureliano Buendia

db

I'm not quite sure what you are asking but assuming that it doesn't work when you connect it to a DC power adaptor but it does when you connect a battery, I would have to assume that there is either something wrong with your DC power adaptor (or wired the wrong way around) or perhaps you are missing a decoupling cap across your circuit.  If you can, measure the output from the DC adaptor or look for the polarity markings on it.

drano

ive done the same thing you want to do.   ...cuz batteries are frickin expensive!

make sure you've wired the right lugs. (the sleeve and not the bypass lug)   and also make sure, like dp said, you have your polarity right.   (most likely tip negative...stupid Boss :icon_frown:

Buendia

Let me clarify my post. I think I was too tired when I typed it...

I've built the IC buffer from GGG. http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_ic_buffer.pdf

I've successfully removed the resistor and LED and it still works, but when I try to omit the battery snap from the circuit I can't get any juice.

Looking at the back of my DC, the jack the contacts look like this:

x1
      x2  The top right
__3

x1 goes to the board and supplies power, __3 goes to ground, x 2, however, goes to the red battery snap lead, and then the black battery snap lead goes to the ring of the input stereo input (which really should be a mono as this type of circuit doesn't have a point when it runs off of external power only.

If I omit the battery snap, then I get no juice. I almost wonder if just running a standard wire from x2 to the ring of the stereo input would fix it.

Anyways, I want to edit the the buffer (I'm using it without and LED and without a switch) to omit the battery snap and also I would really like to know how you edit it to use a mono input as well.

I appreciate everybody's time.

Buendia

-Buendia

--
"Remember, old friend," he said to him. "I'm not shooting you. It's the revolution that is shooting you."

-Colonel Aureliano Buendia

taylorchuck15

Well I just built an A/B Box with no battery clip at all, but thats how it was drawn out on the schem. My only question is have you tried to connect the negative on the jack to the input jack as well? It could also be that you don't need the same kind of input jack that you normally would. The A/B Box only uses mono ins and outs, so it doesn't turn on by being pluged in, it's just always powered. You could try that, too.
Built: LPB1, A/B Box
Building: Fooldrive 2, Brian May Booster

Minion

Quote from: drano on April 06, 2007, 04:37:23 AM
ive done the same thing you want to do.   ...cuz batteries are frickin expensive!

Ummm......9V Batteries are Friggin Cheap.....I get them for 2 for $1 and I have had one in my Guitar Powering the active electronics (DIY of cource) for over 6 months and it has not died yet....Plus DC Adapters are REALLY Freakin Noisy and to fully Supress that Noise you have to add a nice hefty Cap which sort of takes away from the Saveings you get from not useing a Battery......

Also there are Batteries that are Much smaller that Put out enough Voltage....I have used these Small 12v Batteries in a couple of my projects that are about half the size of a AA Battery....They don"t last as Long as the 9v but are really small and are only 2 For $1 were I live......

Cheers
Go to bed with itchy Bum , wake up with stinky finger !!