Direct Box help Newb

Started by msurdin, March 26, 2007, 11:44:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msurdin

I am intrested in doing a little project and making a direct box. I really dont know much about them except alot of them have 1 in and 2 outs. I am still new to all of the building. I would be using this for bass. One out to the amp and other to the live or recording board.

Is there some way it can be the normal signal to the amp and then just boosted out of the send to the board? 
Thanks for your help!

Matt

axg20202

Typically, direct boxes are either passive or active (powered) and you should google to find what the difference is and the pros and cons for each. In my experience, a good direct box uses good quality audio transformers and you get what you pay for in off-the-shelf direct boxes - you will find that they vary in price a hell of a lot and it is mostly because of the different quality of the transformers used. Do a search for direct boxes from your favourite music kit supplier and take a look at their spec vs. cost and see what specs you need/don't need.

From your post, one method would be to use something similar to the H&K Red Box, which takes the signal from your amp to send to your mixer - probably a good approach if you like the sound of your amp. Whatever you decide to go with, if it was me I'd do myself a favour and buy a direct box - I wouldn't build one. You will probably end up spending more on making one than it can be bought off the peg for and the results might not be what you expect or as good as one made by a quality manufacturer. My personal choice for a guitar-based direct box is my Weber mini mass attenuator, which has a direct out. I can drive the stones off of my valve amp at sensible volumes and record the results while I'm doing so. I sometimes mic up the cab at the same time.

Others may well disagree, since anything is worth a crack if you feel strongly enough about it (as long as it's not beating your neighbour's annoying dog to death with a shovel....for example) but I personally wouldn't bother.

msurdin

I just was really intrested in building one for a personal project. I know it could cost more but i really am intrested in making one for myself.

So back to my original question could there be one in, one out, and a boosted out?

Thanks alot!

Matt

axg20202

Try this link....should be plenty to digest here. The DI circuits are further down the page, but you may be interested in the preamp designs also.

In fact, this page is a great resource for making a lot of studio 'black boxes' etc.

http://www.epanorama.net/links/audiocircuits.html