How to Make an Ibanez Phaser (9 Serie) true bypass?

Started by Joshu, April 01, 2007, 04:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshu

Hi everybody, this is my first post in this forum  :), and this is my first question  ::)...

I have this vintage Ibanez Phaser PT9 (9 Serie) that I really like that it was actually made by maxon back in the days, but I would like to make it true bypass since is a tone sucker when is in off mode, I have seen pedals online from the same series which has been modified to true bypass mounting an external 3PDT switch so I know it can be done, basically what I'm looking for is the schematic of the pedal (to bypass the FETs in the pedal) and some basic tips on how to do this mod, this is all I would need right?, would any of you guys have any information about this?

Just as a reference, this is the pedal I'm talking about

http://filters.muziq.be/model/ibanez/9/pt9

Thanks in Advance

Joshu

R.G.

It is, in general, mechanically difficult to fit a stomp switch in such boxes. Also, doing so will kill any collector's value it has, if it has any.

It is very much simpler to make an external true bypass box that simply bypasses the entire pedal. You leave the pedal engaged all the time and bypass it with the external box. This preserves both your sound and the value of the pedal. If any.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Joshu

Hey RG,
     That was actually my first idea (using the external bypass box), but I do not have any extra space in my pedal board to fit one more box, I'm not really concerned about the value of the pedal in general, anyway I will continue my search

jonathan perez

i hope youre handy with a drill, cause it wont be easy fitting a good DPDT/3PDT switch in there. i did with my Rebote 2.5 delay, and it worked out pretty well...but it was a pain in the ass to get the switch to fit.

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

ambulancevoice

i would find out where the input, output, ground and 9v+ of the circuit are
turn the effect on with the old switching and leave it on
and wire up a 3pdt with a new led
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

Dirk_Hendrik

STOP!!!!!!!

You don't drill holes in 9-series pedals to fit in an ugly chinky swith that ruins the pedal forever.

For pedals like these one uses a small DPDT reay that is controlled by the pedal's original Flip-Flop.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

Joshu

Quote from: Dirk_Hendrik on April 02, 2007, 07:18:24 AM
STOP!!!!!!!

You don't drill holes in 9-series pedals to fit in an ugly chinky swith that ruins the pedal forever.

For pedals like these one uses a small DPDT reay that is controlled by the pedal's original Flip-Flop.

Dirk,
    Do you have the information on how to do this? will the pedal be true bypass? which one is the switch I need to buy? wiring schematics? man this really interest me, thanks

Dirk_Hendrik

Do a search on relays ion this board. Plenty has been written already. And yes, it will be TB. No reason why the change from 2 sections of a blue 3pdt to a DPDT relay should suddenly be non-TB.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably