Perf Board = Strip board?

Started by AllyP, September 16, 2003, 07:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllyP

I dont think they are the same...but all i have to work with is strip board....

Its such a pain.....I dont really have the comfidance to make etch a PCB and have already got the board!

Can someone please explain exactly what perfboard is and where i m ight be able to get some(in the UK :s)

petemoore

Columns and rows of holes ... each with a circular conductive copper pad [on one side] to hold the parts in, and give stuructural strength.  You just stick the leads of your parts through the hole/copper ring, [starting from the non copper pad side] and solder...of course I add parts to the top of the board also...to the leads of already mounted parts.
 Different sized sheets of it are available and many/Most Elect suppliers including RS.
 I too am leary of the pcb's etching and have built nearly everythig from perfboard. good stuff IMO...lol.../got no lazer printer/don't like chemicals [well certain ones ie ie...lol]
 You're gonna need a pencil tip soldering device to use perf 'right' though.
 Following a perf layout is probably a good idea...that or plan it well, or just go 'loose'...it becomes very easy to overcrowd an 'off the cuff' perfboard  layout [expecially when wiring Opamps].
 Use sockets for opamps and input caps I do. A diiodes socket is recommended by me for those early diode clipper builds, there's much variability of tones using diff diode configurations...good to try many types and wirings of diodes clippping at least once or twice on a build or two...if your into trying diode clippers
 I buy the largest piece of perfboard they sell, then score and break it with side cutters before/after building...usually the lateral cut is made before and the 'end' cut after ckt is all on the board.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

www.greenweld.co.uk has the most expesive 'pad per hole' board I ever saw.. CDTO137 (and a shitful search engine to boot). But it IS in the UK.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

OF course, for anyone in the USA, Steve at Smallbear has the best pad per hole at a teriffic price  :D
(there can be confusion with the term 'perfboard' because when I was a child, there was no metal involved, just a matrix of holes, and you used pins or ran wire around in place of traces).

acromarty

Farnell has a selection of prototyping boards, including stripboards, single pad (matrix) boards, and others suitable for different types of ic's. Check their website <www.farnell.co.uk> or catalogue section 2:9, under pcb prototyping.

RS Components also have a selection of similar prototyping boards, in their catalogue section 3:4 or website <www.rswww.com>.

I don't know how their prices compare.

I have ordered stuff from Farnell by credit card; I think RS will also sell to individuals. They may have a minimum order value for credit card transactions, Farnell's is about £10, but both have free next day delivery.

Or there's always Maplin...

Cheers,
Andy