"Difficult" transistor, help requested in finding data & modern equivalent

Started by reenigne, April 02, 2007, 06:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

reenigne

Dear all, can anyone please help me identify either a source for the original or a direct equivalent for the E101 which seems to be an N-channel J-FET.  It's in a Maestro pedal and dates from the 1970s. My research on datasheet archives so far has led me to National Semiconductor who have denied knowing anything about it, so one of us is wrong on that!  There's also a diode called an E101 which has caused some confusion.
In the circuit it's used to bias an MN3904 and MN3906 combination so I'm guessing a BF245C may do the trick?
Any assistance with this very gratefully received, thank you in advance.

MartyMart

Hmm, I couldn't find that code as a jfet at all and it's not in my data sheet library .
N channel so possibly 2N5457 or MPF102 and similar would also work !
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Meanderthal

Hmmm... yeah, worst comes to worst, you can always socket it and try different N-channel jfets...

Some of the folks round here have built some of those classic Maestro pedals, so maybe if ya give a clue as to which one it's possible that someone already crossed that bridge and would know what worked(or didn't) fot them... ;)
I am not responsible for your imagination.

Dan N

Maestro used 2N4302 and 2N4303 in their USS-1A. Maybe worth a try in your repair?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

SK3112 is said to be a replacement, they are $1.75 at http://www.smcelectronics.com/transis.htm

Maybe worth a try, according to some data books here:
2N3967
2N5543
BFS70

reenigne

Thanks to everyone for their responses, I think I've found the right replacement in the form of the J201.  The Igss range is exactly the same (0.2 to 1mA) as the E101 which I thinnk is the critical bit since it's used as a current source.  I'll post the results when I've tested it.