Started by mountainking, April 05, 2007, 07:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainking

ambulancevoice

Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

The Tone God

modsquad

A couple of questions:

1.  Why would anyone pay that much for a sound that sounds like someone scratching on a chalkboard with gain? :-\
2.  Is it me or is there too much clipping going on with their fuzz pedals? :icon_eek:

bonus:

3.  Do all the fuzzes sound basically the same? :icon_question:

I appologize if the designer/maker is a member and reads this, but I just don't get it. ???

Stan
"Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light, not because he is afraid of the dark but because the dark is afraid of him"

joegagan

actually, i think there is a better chance of an FX maker being successful selling offbeat fuzzes than another fuzzfacetonebendermuff
devi has a following amongst the eclectic crowd.
I am sure there are varieties of sound, never heard them tho.

one more thing i can say about 'bad' sounding fuzz. in the context of recording, a nasty/weird/cool fuzz tone is likely to work really well in the mix if approached creatively by producer and guitarist. hundreds of killer rock/pop/hiphop records are proof!

"i don't trust a guitar with good pickups" -- beck
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

moosapotamus

How about a better subject for this thread... something like... "Cool DS-1 Tremolo Mod"? After all, that is a pretty cool, and incredibly easy, tremolo mod. 8)

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

mountainking

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I could care less about the tremolo mod. The fact that a well know designer of original and crazy sounding effect pedals decided to post diagrams of some circuits that he had come up, some which he had built only one of and some that where never built, is what I thought was pretty cool. Maybe no one bothered to read  the "abandoned E13 circuits" part of the link. I figured some of you would excited to mess around with some of those circuits, but I guess there aren't alot of Effector 13 fans in this forum.

cheeb

What is it that's being connected on the DS-1 board? Can't tell from the pictures what parts those are. I'd love to try the trem mod because think I could make good use of it, but I don't own a DS-1 yet. If I knew what was actually going on in the mod I could adapt this as well. Thanks d00ds.

Edited to add:
Man that does rock that those designs are there for the picking. A quick browse through the E13 forum shows that hardly anybody over there is trying the circuits out either. I think I'll give a couple of the a try sooner or later. Probably sooner.

caress

i made the krackle fuzz just to try one out.  it was a pretty nice and gnarly sounding fuzz...the tone pot didn't work so well - i think you would need a reverse log pot + when you took out the high end it effected the actual amount of fuzz in a negative way.  whatever...  it sounded pretty good, but some of the controls/values could probably be tweaked to get it sounding better.  also, one other pot didn't really have much of an effect on the sound so i omitted it.  don't remember which, although i tried some different component values and wiring situations first.  nada.

i might try another in the future, but don't really have any plans to right now...

Austin73

I know I'm not the most technically minded here but I find the circuit diagrams very confusing especially around the transistors anbody able to explain how they are connected and I might be able to try building a few of them

Cheers

Austin
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

caress

yeah they are a little weird, but just follow those little colored lines...  it would be pretty easy to draw up a quick schem or layout - if i get a chance i'll do just that

mattpocket

The truly beautiful disaster is amazing... and some of the white noise fuzzes are interesting and I could find them useful in the right setting, but for the guys into classic sound these things sound pretty terrible, but some of us want that.

Matt
Built: LofoMofo, Dist+, Active AB Box, GGG 4 Channel Mixer, ROG Omega
On the Bench:Random Number Generator, ROG Multi-face, Speak & Spell
--------------------------------------------
My Pop-Punk Band - www.myspace.com/stashpocket

audioguy

hmm those old layouts look pretty cool. I might have to try a couple.

cheeb

The link doesn't work anymore. Does anybody know where to find the info that used to be there?  :icon_eek:

GREEN FUZ

Seems the site is being updated but follow this for some information on getting the schems.

http://deviever.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=191

ambulancevoice

wow, E13 is getting there boxes hand painted by Jason Myrold
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

mattpocket

The link for the old designs is dead now, looks like the site is getting a revamp...

A quick hop over to deviever.com confirms this, and it looks like he plans to put them online again...

Hopefully...

Matt
Built: LofoMofo, Dist+, Active AB Box, GGG 4 Channel Mixer, ROG Omega
On the Bench:Random Number Generator, ROG Multi-face, Speak & Spell
--------------------------------------------
My Pop-Punk Band - www.myspace.com/stashpocket

Meanderthal

QuoteMaybe no one bothered to read  the "abandoned E13 circuits" part of the link.

I did a long time ago, but they looked so weird to me that I wondered if they could work at all. If they do, those are very different... Not puttin' them down or anything... But, as you also noticed, I never heard anything like a build report, so I guess I was too timid to try something that I neither knew if it worked, nor what it might sound like if it did...

But if they work, that's some interesting stuff! I'm glad someone brought them up!

They're gone now? Hmmm...  :-\  Maybe they'll be back.
I am not responsible for your imagination.