Crybaby Switchless Mod

Started by taylorchuck15, April 06, 2007, 10:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taylorchuck15

I have a friend who has a Crybaby Switchless Wah and I liked the whole idea of it. Does anybody know how I could modify my wah to be like the switchless?
Built: LPB1, A/B Box
Building: Fooldrive 2, Brian May Booster

fred43

This would be something interesting.  it would sure solve the dancing all over teh pedal board i have to do to hit the boost then my wah.

taylorchuck15

Well the whole reason behind it, is that you don't have to switch it on. It stays in the upright position(bypass) and all you do is just move it like you would a regular wah, except you don't step hard on the front to turn it on. And it's got either a spring in it to keep it upright or a spring loaded pot.
Built: LPB1, A/B Box
Building: Fooldrive 2, Brian May Booster

rooster18

You could affix a roller-lever switch on the back on the pedal, much like Dunlop does on the UV-1FC (Univibe foot controller), and have it switch a DPDT relay in/out for true bypass. As far as keeping it in place, the pedal should hold itself where it needs to be. If not, tighten up the metal strap across the roll pin a little bit.

rooster.

boogietube

Buy a Morley Bad Horsie. Perform a few common resistor/cap mods for the 847 circuit and there you have it. I got several used ones for about $40 each off e-bay. I just had to wait a while to get that price.
Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

WelshWonder

Quote from: R.G. on April 06, 2007, 09:37:36 PM
Magnet. Reed switch(es).

Nice idea that....hmmm, I wonder how many other applicantions you could possibly use that combination..

Dirk_Hendrik

Dunlop "switchless" wah's have a small non-latching switch which is pressed when the pedal is in the heel position. A spring keeps it it that position when the wah is not in use.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

AdrianM55

Hey bud
I know that this thread is a bit old but it's still
Interestingly tempting to do.
Did you actually made one to work?? Or at least possibly elaborate on how to mod one?

I know you're more than capable of doing so :)

Mark Hammer

A year or two back, I was gifted with a non-operational Ace-Tone WM-1 wah.  It is a "switchless" unit.  Not switchless in the sense that it is always on, but rather, a separate hard step is not required to engage it, as on your typical Crybaby unit.  It is engaged the moment you put your foot on it, via use of a soft-touch micro-switch on the bottom of the treadle similar to this one.  As a momentary switch, it reverts back to "bypass" the moment you lift your foot off.  These types of switches are rarely more complex than SPDT, so any sort of true bypass would require either ganging two of them mechanically, somehow, or perhaps using one to actuate a relay circuit for the actual effect switching.

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: taylorchuck15 on April 06, 2007, 10:26:51 AM
I have a friend who has a Crybaby Switchless Wah and I liked the whole idea of it. Does anybody know how I could modify my wah to be like the switchless?

i have a crybaby nsw, you guys want pics or video?
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

erio tedesco

Some time ago, a friend ask me to repair his scratched "switchless" Crybaby model 95Q.
I could not find a schematic of this model.
Double side PCB (although the components are only on the upper side), SMD components (jacks, inductor, pots / trimpots and electrolytic caps are throw-hole), so I decide to not try to trace the circuit.
Anyway, the foot-pedal always mechanically returns (due the action of a spring) to the bypass (buffered) mode. In this position, the foot-pedal press a mini non-latching switch driving a CD4049 hex inverter, forming a flip-flop circuit that activates a FET swicht circuit.
Take a look at  the Bad Horsei Wah schematic, that also uses a hex inverter and FET switching.