Crunch IT ! - My small contribution.

Started by Samy, April 11, 2007, 01:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kusi

Quote from: markm on April 22, 2007, 09:24:06 AM
I added the SWTC to this circuit.
My schem was from a Japanese site so, it may differ I don't know.
Look here; http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album76/Crunch_d_Box_LAYOUT

hy mark,

please check D1 ;-)

best greetings from switzerland,
kusi

bean

Quote from: Samy on April 22, 2007, 10:52:47 AM
Sorry my ignorance... SWTC ?
I think i got the schem from a Japanese site or blog too.

I think he means "Simply Wonderful Tone Control"---an alternative to the stock one.

markm

Quote from: bean on April 22, 2007, 12:00:16 PM
Quote from: Samy on April 22, 2007, 10:52:47 AM
Sorry my ignorance... SWTC ?
I think i got the schem from a Japanese site or blog too.

I think he means "Simply Wonderful Tone Control"---an alternative to the stock one.

Exactly!  :icon_wink:

Quote from: kusi on April 22, 2007, 11:28:48 AM

hy mark,

please check D1 ;-)

best greetings from switzerland,
kusi

Hi kusi!!
Great to see ya here!
Thanks for the tip and here's the corrected version;
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album76/Crunch_d_Box_LAYOUT_001

pott

I LOVE my stock ...pedal...And I really want to build another. I find that since every settings sound GREAT, I could do with at least one more hehe...Anyone breadboarded one?

The components don't seem that hard to find apart from the opamp and trimmer...

bean

pott

Hahah I just realized I meant perfboard haha... but that's good, I can see approximately how big it'd be on it... Thanks!

WGTP

Thanks again for the schematic.  I've been playing with this on the bread board and it sounds pretty good.  (Try different caps in addition to the .022uf cap (C9) at the end for different "Browness".  .01uf - .1uf should all work with different "character".   :icon_cool:

Of course you realize this is mostly op amp distortion.  Try it without the LED's and it still sounds pretty cool.  Also, try it with the LED's in the feedback loop of the second op amp for a little different sound.  A single SI diode in place of the LED's has a slightly fatter/woolier sound to it.  If you want to bump the gain up, change the 10K (R4) resistor between the op amps to 1K and the .1uf cap (C3) to a 1uf or better yet, change the 1K (R3) resistor to 100 ohm and the .22uf cap (C5) to 2.2uf.  That will boost both op amps.  Both mods are probably too much.   :icon_twisted:  Also try doubling or halfing C5 for different distortion texture.   :icon_wink:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Sody54

Just wanted to drop a thanks for posting this layout!  This is one of the best sounding pedals I've built yet.  I built to the layout with only one sub.  I originally put in a 4558, but found a TL082 lying around collecting dust and tried that.  It sounded better so I left it in.  I've got an order on the way from smallbear with LM833's and TL072's, but I may just use those elsewhere and leave it as is!

brett

Do we have a schematic?  Maybe one with the SWTC?
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

stm

Quote from: brett on April 25, 2007, 08:21:36 AM
Do we have a schematic?  Maybe one with the SWTC?
A PDF with the schem is on the very first post in this thread.

slacker

Quote from: stm on April 13, 2007, 09:43:10 AM
Have you tried the CMOS opamps like TLC2262 / TLC2272?

I had a play with it on breadboard using a TS272 CMOS opamp and left out the LEDs for pure opamp distortion and it sounds great. At full gain it's fat and has bags of sustain, it definitely has some Marshall charactor to it, cleans up really nicely as well with the guitar or gain knob. I think it might be a keeper  ;D

I'm going to sound like a complete hypocrite now, but I'm not really sure how cool it is to be posting schematics for this pedal though, surely as a current production pedal from a small builder it should be off limits? Although, I suppose seen as how it's basically a Guvnor clone it's fair game.
Suppose I could always buy one, clip out the LEDs and change the opamp.

markm

Quote from: slacker on April 29, 2007, 02:01:25 PM

I'm going to sound like a complete hypocrite now, but I'm not really sure how cool it is to be posting schematics for this pedal though, surely as a current production pedal from a small builder it should be off limits?

Ordinarily I may have agreed but, this schem is on more Japanese web-sites than the Tube-Screamer.  :)
Supposedly, the HotCake is too but, I haven't seen it.

slacker

Fair enough, I didn't realise the cat was already so out of the bag.

goosonique

<((one man with courage makes a majority))>

Alex C

I just breadboarded this circuit using the schematic link on the first page, and I'm very impressed.  I started out with a TL072, and tried a 4558 (which didn't sound as good to me- it was a bit darker and sort of muddy), and then a 5532, which sounds fantastic.  It's got more mid attack to it, and sounds "punchier."  I settled on green LEDs, one each direction, and when I box it up I plan on having a switch for the diodes in or out.

With the diodes out there is less gain but it's less compressed (more "open") and sounds great for medium-heavy rock styles. 

Thanks for posting the information on this.  I might end up using the PCB layout provided, but it's more fun for me to make my own.  Thanks for sharing, though.

-Alex

P.S.  I saw some requests for breadboard pics, so I'll post one of mine shortly just in case it can help someone.

Harold

Quote from: bean on April 17, 2007, 10:00:25 PM
Here it is. Have fun!

:)

Bean,

Do you still have a copy of the stripboard layout somewhere? The image in your post (bean_KrunkLayout.gif) doesn't exist anymore...

Thanx!
DIY-Layout.com: Online stripboard layouts