Help just fried my Line 6 FM4!

Started by Austin73, April 20, 2007, 03:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austin73

As you read I seem to have fried my Line 6 FM4 pedal, too embarressed to tell you i put the batteries in wrong way round (pretty bad considering i have had the pedal for 3 years)

Opened her up to find a nice black spot where a cap has gone i presume (or hope!)

ANY ideas on this or advice and also any tips on getting the board out the box (are the knobs glued on?)

Cheers for any help

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

mattpocket

I would have thought this was impossible with a commercial grade pedal...
Built: LofoMofo, Dist+, Active AB Box, GGG 4 Channel Mixer, ROG Omega
On the Bench:Random Number Generator, ROG Multi-face, Speak & Spell
--------------------------------------------
My Pop-Punk Band - www.myspace.com/stashpocket

Austin73

I have the smoke to prove it! Pretty miffed too especially as the power supply input says 9VAC !So batteries going the wrong way blow it up! Arrggghh

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

MartyMart

Knob removal :
Wrap some cardboard/cloth around them then pull off with a good pair of pliers, this will
stop you "marking" the knobs.
You could try getting some cloth "under/around" the base and pulling up also.
They have little lock washers and bits that can go missing on the inside so be careful.
No need to remove the footswitches, as the top section is separate and just pushes down
on a small PCB nounted switch !
Once open it should be fairly easy to work on, usual "reverse pwr" stuff applies  :icon_wink:

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Austin73

Cheers Marty

Will post my findings and pics if anybody wants them

Aus

Austin73

Just if anyone needs to get the knobs off of these pedals using the cloth and pliers didn't work . You need to gentle place leverage under the bottom of the knob as there seems to be some sort of insert into these pedals (rubber?) which makes it harder to remove without damaging the knobs.

Also now looked inside its worse than i thought.

Diode D12 is shot which is cool except its labeled burnt but looks like 1n4X

Now for the bad part there is a toridial coil ? is that correct? Looks pretty burnt one side part is labeled TRF2000 CCC0041

Any ideas?

Austin

MartyMart

Well, the cloth/pliers and some gentle rocking left/right whilst pulling worked for me  :icon_wink:
The damage inside seems bad, if the transformer is burned up ? or could be just PCB burn ?
Try replacing the diode, probably 1N4001/4002 wil be fine and any other obvious damaged part
perhaps the tranny was spared !
Other wise, Line 6 are quite helpful on parts replacement.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Austin73

Hey Marty , thanks for yet more info, wasn't having a go about the cloth thing just couldn't get them to budge but i'm sure it will work on any other pedals i choose to fry, thought the diode would be 1n4001 but a small bodied version i think the coil is fried but not sure if it will work still, will solder the diode latter and let you know.

Oterwise will try Line 6 as you suggest

Cheers so far

Aus