modded wah help por favor...RG??

Started by m_charles, April 13, 2007, 09:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m_charles

Hi,

I modded a standard crybaby wah and everything worked great, but I can't get rid of this damn "pop!" on bypass.

Here is what was done:
I wanted a boost for leads when the wah was engaged. I wanted a more "lo fi" type boost, so I built in an LPB-1 boost at the input (I like the boost there instead of after the wah), and included a 9.1M pulldown to prevent pops, like I always use.

This runs to the wah circuit, then I pasted in the "ts9-type" out buffer (from RG's site) using a 2n3904, also used a 9.1M pulldown.

All this was done through a new DPDT switch to replace the original SPDT.

Tried it out, sounds great, but a big pop. I trouble-shot it all, even tried 2 1M pulldowns inplace of the 9.1M's. Same thing!

I do go from my strat, right into the wah, so this I guess could be screwing with the pulldowns but It's never happened before!

The pops do lessen some with a fuzzface (no buffer) after the wah.

Help!!??

chuck

R.G.

Verify a couple of things for me?

- the wah and added stuff is always strung together and the bypass is around the whole mess
- the boost for leads is always connected in the front
- there is no indicator LED
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

m_charles

thanks for replying RG.

1) Yes, everything is together. It is all bypassed when the DPDT is in bypass mode.
2) Yes, the LPB-1 boost is wired "always on", before the wah board.
3) No LED.

More info that may make a difference:
-Battery operation only. No DC jack.
-There is no power filtering on the wah, and I didn't add any to the wah, buffer or LPB. I figured I'd be OK since it was batt. only.
-I found out last night that when I run the wah in front of my pedal board (which has a mix of DIY, BOSS, and "boutique" pedals) the pop goes away almost compleatly.
Bieng an experimenter, after noticing this, I tried just Guitar, WAH, a stock (no true bypass) TS-9, then amp. POP!

hmmm...

thanks again in advance RG.

Chuck

R.G.

I think that your rewiring job has resulted in the Wah pedal putting out a DC voltage on its input or output.

Check it for DC with your DMM.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

m_charles

just checked...nope.
I assume I would just set my meter to read voltage, like I was checking the collector voltage of a transistor, but instead I would put black lead to ground and red to "hot" on my in/out jack and look for any voltage.

If that's right then I've got no voltage showing at the in or out...

any other Ideas?? would the lack of filtering for the power cause this??

thanks RG (anyone else's input is welcome as well!).

chuck