Silly question

Started by LoudGreg, April 14, 2007, 11:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoudGreg

::)

I'm putting together the BSIAB2 kit from GGG & ................(Ok here it goes..........)

the Pots all have these little metal stems that pertrude from the top right side of the pot (when installed they're on the right). These stems keep the pots from sitting in the box flush and straight, making all the pots lean a little to the left.

Do I simply break these off so the pot can be installed flush or an I missing something here? Do these things have a purpose? (hope you can all follow my explaination)
Guitar player not a tech............

tcobretti

Most people break them off.  If you drill little holes in the enclosure they will hold the pot in place.

jlullo

greg,
yeah, you can just snap them off with needle nose pliers..... i remember having the same exact question when i started :)

LoudGreg

Guitar player not a tech............

GonzoFonts

Great pedal and kit...

I made multiple attempts to build the BSIAB2 on breadboard with no luck. I just ran into all kinds of noise issues, it was very unstable. This is a very high gain circuit which is probably why I had issues building it on a breadboard.

I have no way of making PC boards at home and when I saw the kit for $60, I thought that was a great deal. I ordered the kit and assembled it and it worked first time - no issues what so ever. Sounds AWESOME!!!

My only complaint with the kit was the holes for the input, output and power jacks on the enclosure were not centered that well. They were drilled just a little too close to each other and it made it very difficult to get ever thing to fit. Everything had to be positioned just right to get it to fit.

Besides that, its a great kit and I would highly recommend it to anyone that does not have the time and/or ability to make their own PC board, enclosure, etc.

GF

darron

like everyone said, snap them off. they are usually pretty brittle if you bend them the weak way. they are intended not to bend the other way easilly. you'd use them to align the pot and keep it from spinning by having it slot into a hole in a pcb or whatever surface it's being pushed up against. though i keep thinking of a practical way to use them, it's always stuck me as more trouble than it's worth so far.

if anyone has some pics of these in use i'd be interested to see (:
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!