Silicon transistor for fuzz faces. BC108B vs. BC109C vs BC183L

Started by fusionid, April 18, 2007, 11:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fusionid

Dont know much about them Basically I want to know what are the differences between these 3 transistors? tone wise? history wise? Which one was more commonly used in the legendary fuzz face?

fusionid

ok guys nevermind. Dont need to post I found what I was looking for with the search function   :icon_redface:

regards and thansk to you all.  :icon_smile:

rocket

These are all silicon transistors, the really "legendary" fuzz face had germanium transistors, which makes a BIG difference.
a common type is the AC128, there is a detailed analysis at R.G. Keen's www.geofex.com webpage.

The silicon transistor version of the fuzzface doesn't have the reputation of sounding very good.

I think the first silicon versions of the FF used the BC183L transistor.

Sir H C

The silicon ones used several different transistor types throughout the run.  I had one with the BC109s and while I found it shrill and biting with my single coil guitars, a friend loved it beyond my NKT-275 one with his humbucker equipped guitars.  It works "better" with those as they have a darker sound to start with.  Still have to try to find the guy who "borrowed" that one...

Gus

The best thing to do might be to buy some and try them yourself.

Sir H C

If I remember correctly, the suffix is the binning of the Hfe for the devices.  And that will probably matter more than the other digits.

Sam

"Where's the paper bag that holds the liquor?
Just in case I feel the need to puke." - Silver Jews