11 Tube Screamer Chips with clips

Started by Jackie Treehorn, April 20, 2007, 03:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nephsuperman

Thanks for your input, I don't think you know how many people really wanted an analysis like this.  kudos!
4 successful builds, 2 on the way.  Still trying to learn as much as I can.
GGG tube screamer *2, GGG ross compressor, and the GGG Crybaby replacement circuit.

Plinky

Thanks for the sound comparison. IMO they all sound the same. The differences may just be too subtle for my nearly deaf ears to sort out.:D

Shannon

Just after I dropped the dollars on the Burr Brown too! :-[

I'd be interested in seeing if there's any noticeable difference in stacking opamps.

Edit: Actually, I just noted you tested the OPA2134PA and not the more expensive OP2604PA.

moro

Quote from: Shannon on July 06, 2007, 04:01:00 AM
Just after I dropped the dollars on the Burr Brown too! :-[

When I modded my TS-10 a while back, I bought a bunch of opamps to try out and the Burr Brown was overwhelmingly my favorite. It sounded huge, with a lot of clarity. Whether or not you like the BB depends on what sort of sound you're looking for.

That said, I tried to make some recordings and the differences that I thought were so obvious were nearly non-existent after being recorded. :icon_neutral:

dirk

I did a test like this to a while ago. No differences of significant magnitude.

How come?
Maybe because you listen to the whole circuit and not the chip by it self?

Plinky

Quote from: dirk on July 06, 2007, 02:23:32 PM
I did a test like this to a while ago. No differences of significant magnitude.

How come?
Maybe because you listen to the whole circuit and not the chip by it self?

Isn't "what the complete circuit sounds like" what counts????

grolschie

To me, most of these sounded much of a muchness. It helped perhaps let me know to avoid the one or two bad sounding ICs in that list.