And one more layout to verify... Jack Orman's Muffer

Started by Barcode80, April 22, 2007, 02:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barcode80

stopstopsmile

so this looks like a rangemaster nothing too drastic about it.  But it also looks to be quite dirty.  Which can be cool.

What kind of mods can make it cleaner, and what kind of mods can make it dirty. 

I want to tweak it slightly and build two of them and put into one box and be able to toggle.  So I am curious what mods can be done to this circuit.

Barcode80

i REALLY like the dirty sound of it, but for more clean headroom the only way i would know would be to power with a higher supply, maybe 12 or 18 volts.

stopstopsmile

are there any cool tricks that can be implemented into this circuit.  I am going to build it and I want to play around with mods and such just for practice. 

amz-fx

Quote from: stopstopsmile on October 17, 2007, 10:45:10 AM
are there any cool tricks that can be implemented into this circuit.  I am going to build it and I want to play around with mods and such just for practice. 

Make R4 a 10k pot wired as a variable resistor.

regards, Jack

Barcode80

also, i rememer someone saying that using mosfets as clippers sounded good in this one. LED's too.

Harold

Could somebody tell me what the Muffer sounds like? Is it a fuzz-like booster or more like a distortion box?

I've also made a tiny layout for it: ;)

Muffer (Jack Orman)
DIY-Layout.com: Online stripboard layouts

Quackzed

i believe you can remove d1,d2,and the cap in their path to make it into a booster, a very loud one at that! you could put one end of the d1,d2,cap path on a switch and switch from distortion to booster(connected/disconnected) or instead of a switch you could  wire a 10k pot as a variable resistor to the diode side (10k pot->diodes->cap->)for a "variable clipping threshold" control to set at what level it clips/distorts.
another good mod for this circuit is a bass blend at the input cap, just use a .001uf input cap and wire a (->10k pot->2.2 uf cap->)in parallel with the .001uf input cap to dial from a treble booster to a fat booster...

nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!