Question about gain response of Fuzz Face circuit. (less dc resistance=more gain

Started by joelap, April 22, 2007, 06:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joelap

Hey guys, finished up a prototype of a fuzzface build I've been working on.  Something odd I noticed.  My strat bridge pickup is tapped at 6.6k and then wound somewhere over 11-11.5k (custom wound by someone I know).  Whats odd is I'm getting more "fuzz" when I use the 2 and 4 positions on my strat than in the 1/3/5 positions, and I actually get less gain I think when I use the full on mode of the bridge.  This seems counter-intuitive to me, as to why in the 2 and 4 (which would be some 3.3k output since all three pickups are wound to 6.6k or so) I'm getting more fuzz than when I use a single pickup that has twice the DC resistance.  This theory holds true as well for when I use the full mode of my bridge pickup (11k) it has slightly less gain than when I use the 6.6k tap.

Whats the reason for this?  I'm not sure if I want to remedy this, because it is kind of nice when I'm playing Foxey Lady and that solo comes after the second chorus, I flip it to the neck+middle pickup and that extra bit kicks in and its bliss.  But I'm just curious why this is happening.  Similar thing happened on a rebuild I did for a friend, but tbh once it was working I gave it to him without spending much time on it.
- witty sig -

bioroids

I don't know much about pickpus, but if the DC resistance can be acounted also as output impedance, then it makes perfect sense. The greater output impedance, the less voltage the pedal sees at it's input, because of the voltage divider formed by the pickup output impedance and the fuzz input impedance (which is known to be very low in fuzz face-like circuits).

Luck

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

Gus

I have posted this many times the FF has two gain sections the first is the first transistor gain in parallel with the feedback network of the 100K 47K etc q2 emitter to base of Q1 and the input Z formed by the guitar.

The 100K(or what ever value divided by the input Z, the guitar) in parallel with Q1 gain is the first stage gain.  This is the stage that sets the "touch control"  The guitar Z changes with freq forming an EQ as well