Behringer Ultra Phase Shifter

Started by Arn C., April 25, 2007, 02:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arn C.

http://www.behringer.com/UP100/index.cfm?lang=ENG

At $44.99 USD  may be a great buy.  Anyone tested one of these out yet?

Thanks!
Arn C.

StephenGiles

Better to wait for the SUPER PHASE SHIFTER SP400, which has Barberpole Phasing!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

puretube

QuoteDer ultimative Phase Shifter, der auf Knopfdruck die gesamte Klangpalette von klassischen bis modernen Phase Shifting-Effekten bietet
Real Sound Modeling (RSM) kombiniert zukunftsweisende DSP-Technologie mit ausgefeilten Algorithmen zur Emulation echter akustischer Umgebungen
Erlebe Sounds von klassischen 4-, 8-, 10- und 12-stufigen Phasern bis hin zu neuen, aufwärts wirbelnden und sich abwärts bewegenden Klängen
Separate Mode-, Resonance-, Depth- und Rate-Regler für umfangreiche Klangregelung
Blaue Status LED zeigt Effektaktivierung und Batteriestatus
Betrieb mit 9-Volt Batterie oder BEHRINGER PSU-SB DC Adapter (nicht im Lieferumfang enthalten)
Erstklassiger elektronischer On/Off-Schalter für höchste Signaltreue im Bypass-Modus
Hochwertige Bauteile und eine extrem robuste Konstruktion garantieren lange Lebensdauer
Entwickelt von BEHRINGER Deutschland

:icon_razz:

e178453

$29.99 on ebay with free shipping!
Guess I am the devil's advocate on the whole Behringer topic.  Ethical arguements aside, my question is simply, is it a good copy?
I am SO gonna buy the ultra vibrato UV300 as soon as it's available in the U.S.
scott

ambulancevoice

probably works well,
but of course, most of the behringer stomps are not true bypass, and have the cheapest plastic enclosure
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

jonathan perez

my fab chorus is plastic, and may in fact be cheap...but its YET to break...
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

ambulancevoice

it will happen
one day you will stomp it and it will fall to pieces
like mine did...
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

z1

i have it, it sucks, the bypass sucks (your tone aswell)  :icon_confused:

StephenGiles

Quote from: ambulancevoice on April 26, 2007, 02:31:57 AM
probably works well,
but of course, most of the behringer stomps are not true bypass, and have the cheapest plastic enclosure

I would happily have a phaser pedal with a cardboard case if it provided Barberpole!! True bypass......who cares?
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

rocket

The digitech hyperphase is not too expensive ~70€. probably about the same amount in $ in the US.

And has a metal case.

Rodgre

Quote from: ambulancevoice on April 26, 2007, 02:31:57 AM
probably works well,

You mean NONE of the Behringer stomps are true bypass, but neither are any Boss pedals. The Vintage Phaser and Distortion (weak sounding clones of the Big Muff and Small Stone) are pushbutton switch tops that press a momentary keyboard switch inside, just like any other electronic switching pedal (Boss, Ibanez, etc).

If these pedals are the clones they appear to be, the new Phasor that does barberpole is a clone of the Boss PH-3, which, while digital, I think, does sound cool in barberpole mode. Worth it for a $40 pedal to use on one song in the studio.

Roger

mars_bringer_of_war

For the price of these pedals, it's worth it to me to buy them, leave them on, and build a bypass box for a few bucks more-the heavy duty switch on your tbp box gets the work, you get a decent-sounding inexpensive pedal, and true bypass with minimal sweat.
I have a Fab Metal I bought for $10, use it precisely like that, and it will not leave my board.
I will quietly resist.

puretube

Quote from: puretube on April 25, 2007, 03:16:30 PM
QuoteDer ultimative Phase Shifter, der auf Knopfdruck die gesamte Klangpalette von klassischen bis modernen Phase Shifting-Effekten bietet
Real Sound Modeling (RSM) kombiniert zukunftsweisende DSP-Technologie mit ausgefeilten Algorithmen zur Emulation echter akustischer Umgebungen
Erlebe Sounds von klassischen 4-, 8-, 10- und 12-stufigen Phasern bis hin zu neuen, aufwärts wirbelnden und sich abwärts bewegenden Klängen
Separate Mode-, Resonance-, Depth- und Rate-Regler für umfangreiche Klangregelung
Blaue Status LED zeigt Effektaktivierung und Batteriestatus
Betrieb mit 9-Volt Batterie oder BEHRINGER PSU-SB DC Adapter (nicht im Lieferumfang enthalten)
Erstklassiger elektronischer On/Off-Schalter für höchste Signaltreue im Bypass-Modus
Hochwertige Bauteile und eine extrem robuste Konstruktion garantieren lange Lebensdauer
Entwickelt von BEHRINGER Deutschland

:icon_razz:

partly translated:
"... RSM (Real Sound Modeling) combines future-orientated DSP technology with refined algorithms for emulation of real acoustic surroundings"
"Blue LED shows effectactivation and batterystatus"
"Firstclass electronic on/off switch for highest signalfidelity in bypass mode"

Mark Hammer

From their web-site:
"    *  The ultimate Phase Shifter that delivers the whole history from vintage to modern phase shifting effects—at the touch of a footswitch
    * Real Sound Modeling (RSM) combines state-of-the-art DSP technology with sophisticated algorithms to emulate real acoustic environments
    * Experience any sounds from classic 4-, 8-, 10- and 12-stage phasers to new swirling up- and downward moving sounds
    * Dedicated Mode, Resonance, Depth and Rate controls for awesome sound shaping
    * Blue status LED for effect on/off and battery check
    * Runs on 9 V battery or the BEHRINGER PSU-SB DC power supply (not included)
    * First-class electronic On/Off switch for highest signal integrity in bypass mode
    * High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction ensure long life
    * Conceived and designed by BEHRINGER Germany"

Red highlights are mine.

One of the more interesting things I stumbled on at the Behringer site is the cluster of new pedals (with 600 in the model number) that are clones of the Line 6 Tone Core pedals.  For instance the following are clones of the Roto Machine, Otto Filter, Liqui-Flange, Echo Park, and Verbzilla, respectively.

http://www.behringer.com/RM600/index.cfm?lang=ENG
http://www.behringer.com/FM600/index.cfm?lang=ENG
http://www.behringer.com/FL600/index.cfm?lang=ENG
http://www.behringer.com/EM600/index.cfm?lang=ENG
http://www.behringer.com/RV600/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Unlike the Line 6 originals, these ones will not likely be capable of providing extra traction during winter driving by placing them in your trunk, will not provide suitale balast for your sailboat, and will not likely survive I.E.D.s in Afghanistan either. :icon_wink:

EDIT: From looking at the face of the EM600 Echo Park clone, it would appear that they did not use Line 6's dual switch approach to implementing tap tempo, where soft presses do tap tempo, and a firm click does bypass.  Rather, they use an approach similar to what Boss did for the Super Feedbacker, whereby there was only one switch, and if you held it down a little longer it reverted to a different switch mode.  The Tone Core Echo Park lets you set delay time with your foot when in bypass mode.  The Behringer clone forces you to hold the treadle down for a bit and *then* do tap tempo.

This pedal, though not a Line 6 clone (a Boss or similar clone, I imagine) also looks interesting for those wanting a pitch shifter: http://www.behringer.com/US600/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Could be a very interesting summer...  Do I sense an emerging cottage industry on the horizon of "We will rehouse your behringer/Danelectro pedal with true bypass for $50"?

puretube

err, well, ahhh, ... I usually translate the other way `round... (for others...)  :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

alex frias

I tested a bunch of these inexpensive Behringer pedals in a music store other day. Not the best enviroment for that, I admit.
I must say that on a quick test I've found the Ultra Phase Shifter one of the worst phasers I've heard.
I like several others and picked up an Octaver. Very fat but with poor tracking on higher notes. So poor that you can even pluck and hold a bass note and strum gently a high pitched chord with the bass note octaved sustaining. Interesting...
It combined with my FuzzFactory seems eating the world.
Pagan and happy!

Alex C

Why are there so many 3D render images of Behringer pedals, and so few actual photos on the net?

George Giblet

I have one and I've also looked inside - didn't bother tracing it though.   I *may* have jotted down some details but I can't remember where!  I looks like a fairly conventional (but full featured) analog design using JFETs.  It didn't look like the later BOSS designs but since I didn't get too detailed I could be wrong, it could be a clone using JFETS - IIRC the mode switch didn't work like the BOSS units.

Anyway, it sounds OK.  When I first got it I really liked it but occasionally I think it's ordinary.  That seems to happen a lot with phasers for me.

The circuit is done is 99% surface mount.

The box quality is good enough.  The plastic is hard.  There is a metal plate on the bottom which adds to stability and shielding - the shieldign is pretty good.  The battery compartment does't work with a screw like the Boss units, it's got these plastic lugs you push in - I never use a battery and have never opened that part of the box up (andI have quite a few of these cheap behringer pedals).   Don't know how strong these lugs are.  Perhaps the weakest point of the whole unit is the 6.5mm jacks, they are cheapy generic PCB mount types.  I suspect these will fail in time.