Author Topic: Complete beginner, help me out?  (Read 5939 times)

vikingtyty

Complete beginner, help me out?
« on: April 30, 2007, 08:58:13 PM »
I tried the beginner project already, but i used the thickest solder ever and just sort of lost hope. Today i was at an electronics store and saw electronic solder that was waaaay more thin and that inspired me to basically try again.

Now a couple of questions...exactly what kind of solder do i want?
Do i have to do anything to the breadboard or do i just solder it down?

enigmur

Re: Complete beginner, help me out?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 12:19:44 AM »
The solder you want should be 40% lead 60% tin I think. I use quite thin stuff, have a go with it - it is easier to apply.

I think by breadboard do you mean the perfboard as used in the project? Usually it is a good idea to give the copper pad side a quick rub with steel wool or very fine sand paper to be sure it makes a good connection with the solder. If it has been in a packet and unopened you shouldnt have to bother.

I reccommend finding a good tutorial on soldering, even if you can already solder, there's usually some good tips.

Good luck and take your time!
i have to get my hands on some of your germs.  very soon.
Anywhere but here, that would seem odd...

vikingtyty

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 01:37:17 AM »
yeah, i'll look for tutorials.

hopefully i can catch on somewhat easily, 'cause this is something i REALLY think i'd love doing.

vikingtyty

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 03:53:35 AM »
hahaha, i already have a much better grasp on it after watching a few videos. i was going about it all wrong!

vikingtyty

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 02:31:28 PM »
i've been seeing a lot of stuff about perfboard layouts and 'ready to solder' boards or whatever... so does that mean if i bought just some regular ol' perfboard i'd have to do something to it before i could solder on it?

vikingtyty

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 08:10:21 PM »
bump. since i finished the beginner project without a layout, i answered my own question.

but that leaves a question, what exactly are layouts for? just to make the building process easier?

newbie builder

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 09:53:02 PM »
Yup. And with more complicated effects it's a very good idea to make a layout or find a layout before building, otherwise you can end up confused and with a non-working effect. For simple stuff though, such as the beginner project or most other single transistor pedals, you can just make up the layout as you go.
//

vikingtyty

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 04:24:01 AM »
what about for say, a fuzz face? should i make a layout for that? that's my next project so I'm just trying to figure it all out before i buy the stuff I need.

aron

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 04:35:24 PM »
I would try perfboard for the fuzz face. Like this:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/wpress/?cat=3