News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures (Guitars)

Started by Rattlehead, May 01, 2007, 03:31:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebunny

I'd go with it.  It's kinda unique.  And if not unique, then it's distinctive.  So long as you have room to get amongst the switches.  (So not "hands like a murderer", as my Mum would have said...)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

stallik

My Grandaughter asked me to build a stand for her little guitar. She wanted something small to sit on the floor so I came up with this. Guitar is surprisingly stable though I doubt I'll make one for a full sized axe

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

stallik

Getting very close to finishing my Red Special Tele -no Vol/Tone or jack plate yet as I'm waiting for parts. Sounds really different to everything else I have. Very honky midrange - probably the cheap Korean PU's ::) Rather jangly clean but with the right drive (MayQueen) sounds very Santana? Go figure!

Didn't want any screws or nuts on the front so took a Dremel to the PU lugs then made brackets so I could adjust height round the back. First one I've French polished. That took me 3 weeks and countless attempts >:( Lots of mistakes, most of them fixed

Iroku body & Neck, Fake binding, Zirikote fingerboard, Gotoh hardware

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

bluebunny

My next build is gonna be a towel.  To throw in...   :-\

That's bloody amazing, Kevin.
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

Thanks Marc but it really doesn't stand up to close examination. That makes it unsellable so I'll just have to keep it.

bluebunny

Quote from: stallik on October 07, 2022, 05:40:58 AM
. . . so I'll just have to keep it.

I see what you did there.   ;)
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

Seems that my local junk/antiques/house clearance store only has one price for guitars. This week, stumbled on a mint Ibanez Mikro for £30 inc quality gig bag and Strap. Sounds and plays like a full size. My granddaughter will love it  :)

stallik

If anyone likes nice wood, you might like to check out these slabs. I got to see them in the flesh and they look awesome

bluebunny

What a gorgeous piece of wood.  Thank goodness someone else didn't get to it first and turn it into a coffee table.  :icon_eek:
  • SUPPORTER

Mac Walker

Scratch builds from the past several years.  Lost my password on an old computer, finally found it and got logged in, haha.

Started selling these at the local music store, which worked out fairly well during the pandemic induced ponzi globalism supply side warflation crisis, ha ha....

stallik

bluebunny

^^ What Kevin said.   :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER

rockola

Finally finished this 8-string tap guitar that has been in the making since 2002. 4-piece (Tru-Oiled) maple neck w/ twin single action truss rods, pau ferro fretboard & headstock veneer, 2-piece alder body, distressed nitro sunburst. Active EMG 40DC pickup.

stallik

The 2023 Great Guitar Build Off has just been announced by Crimson guitars. Charity event which I'm tempted to enter this year.

bluebunny

Not quite in the same league as the guitars above, but this is a DIY kit that I put together recently.  Not a "Partscaster", more a "Les Parts Junior".  :icon_biggrin:

I managed to ding the neck and body, which isn't the finest piece of wood (or pieces).  So the yellow stain might have been better as a solid colour.  I ckufed up painting the headstock black, so scrubbed that and put a zebrano veneer on it instead.  Slight redemption...  Still needs a bit of setting up (nut cut too high) and I've got a replacement adjustable bridge waiting in the wings.
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

bluebunny

Thanks Kevin.  Not bad, I suppose, for a box of cheap bits.  It will serve its purpose as something to have at hand in my cramped office space.  And I'm quite pleased with the headstock shaping and veneering (the only bit of actual "woodwork").
  • SUPPORTER

patricks

Here are my two. Both handmade, by myself and my partner's Dad (they were a project together the first time we met, so I think all went well :) )

The first is a T-style, semi-hollow, single pickup, no controls and pickup wired directly to the jack.
The top is ash, the back mahogany. The pickup is a G&L Z-coil, with the coils reversed.

In retrospect I would've liked to lightly flame-treat the top to make the grain really pop, but it's still lovely as it is.
The bridge and neck came from a G&L Tribute ASAT special; I was going to order a custom neck from Sound Guitar Works but this one played very nicely and the tuners had been upgraded to Schaller locking tuners, so I've kept it for now.

The top gets down to 3.5 mm thick for most of the area either side of the centre, so it's got great resonance. The downside is there's a bit of neck dive, so I'm looking for ways to make the neck lighter when I make a neck for it.
The little block of wood at the base of the neck is an "oops" turned into a feature. We routed the neck pocket too long, and my partner's Dad suggested shaping the fill-in block of wood to look like a feature. We've both signed our initials on it, so now I really do have my own "signature" guitar  :icon_lol:

It plays wonderfully and sounds fantastic. It's like with fuzz faces, having fewer things in the "signal chain" means that everything that is there is proportionally more important. String choice, pickup height, and the condition of your nails or plectrum make big differences.
I grew up playing classical guitar, so I wanted something that would be very responsive to playing dynamics and articulation, and this does just that - except that a classical guitar goes from whisper quiet to sort of loud, and this goes from loud to "ow! That's loud!" with an amp with lots of headroom.

The second is a 12-string, semi-hollow, Starcaster shape

The top is oak, the back also mahogany.
Pickups are G&L jumbo MFD single coils from the same donor ASAT special (I sold off the body and made back a few dollars  ;D ).
The controls are wired with individual volume pots (Gibson "50s style" so that they'll blend without the guitar going silent if one is zeroed), and master treble and bass for the other two pots (a-la G&L PTB; I had to put a 250k resistor across the output jack to get the right impedance for the bass control to work).
The neck is from a Pitbull guitars kit, and so far has been just great. It's 48 mm wide, so the string spacing is nice and comfortable.
The pickups are perfect for a 12-string, heaps of clarity and chime, and the volume/tone circuit gives a huge amount of flexibility for individual or blended pickup sounds. I can play this through an acoustic amp to approximate the sound of an acoustic 12 string for recording, or an electric guitar amp for some 12 string rawk :)