News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures (Guitars)

Started by Rattlehead, May 01, 2007, 03:31:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slacker

Quote from: zeta55 on May 08, 2007, 05:26:45 PM
Hey, I had one like that. It was the first guitar I bought with my own money. I deeply regret selling it. Kinda weird Humbuckers in it, sounded kindy muddy, neck through if I remember right. Sold it about 15 years ago, a very nice guitar.

Yeah the neck humbucker can be a bit muddy using distortion, I found backing the pickups further away from the strings than normal helped a lot and sort of opens the sound up. The only thing wrong with it is that the neck pickup is a bit too polite and smooth sounding for my tastes. I guess thats because it's not really a rock guitar though.
Yeah, it's a 24 fret through neck.

Here's a picture of one of my guitars as of today. I own a few more but this is the only one I had in my photobucket album.

Nice strat, that red sun burst with black scratch plate is one of my favourite combos.

unknowndude

I want a jazzmaster, and you guys aren't helping  :-\

:icon_mrgreen:

mattpocket

Quote from: GREEN FUZ on May 08, 2007, 12:52:37 PM
Not necessarily. It could be any one of a number of labels, Kent, Kimberly, Audition, Kay, Top Twenty...the list goes on. These Japanese guitars are fairly generic, possibly made by Guyatone and were commonly rebadged for foreign markets. Usually the badge is the first thing to disappear/fall off. The vibrato arm is also often missing. They aren`t the best made guitars in the world but sometimes you luck out and get a real player with decent sounding pickups. Any luck you have one there.

So there were a lot of these guitars around, the same shape/style? But with different badges on them?

I dont really care if its crappy, it was £50 and I like the shape... I have other guitars that play nice, I just fancied an old guitar in my collection...

Matt
Built: LofoMofo, Dist+, Active AB Box, GGG 4 Channel Mixer, ROG Omega
On the Bench:Random Number Generator, ROG Multi-face, Speak & Spell
--------------------------------------------
My Pop-Punk Band - www.myspace.com/stashpocket

choklitlove

i thought this would be a DIY guitar thread...

before:

after:

http://geocities.com/worthekik/sc400.html
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

ambulancevoice

nice guitar man
and cute cats
who is the person in the first pic of willow?
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

choklitlove

i forgot that page existed...

anyway, thanks and it's my little sister.  she was probably 6 at at that time.

she's a bitch
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

liakos

my baby
fender american fat strat!

trevize

ambulancevoice

Quote from: choklitlove on May 09, 2007, 03:44:55 AM

anyway, thanks and it's my little sister.  she was probably 6 at at that time.

she's a bitch

;D :icon_cool:

ambulancevoice

here is my bass...
some fender rip off by a company called "SX" and on the head stock it say "custom handmade - vintage series"
the pick ups are shit IMO, but they work nonetheless

spudulike

Quote from: mattpocket on May 09, 2007, 02:38:10 AM
Quote from: GREEN FUZ on May 08, 2007, 12:52:37 PM
Not necessarily. It could be any one of a number of labels, Kent, Kimberly, Audition, Kay, Top Twenty...the list goes on. These Japanese guitars are fairly generic, possibly made by Guyatone and were commonly rebadged for foreign markets. Usually the badge is the first thing to disappear/fall off. The vibrato arm is also often missing. They aren`t the best made guitars in the world but sometimes you luck out and get a real player with decent sounding pickups. Any luck you have one there.

So there were a lot of these guitars around, the same shape/style? But with different badges on them?

I dont really care if its crappy, it was £50 and I like the shape... I have other guitars that play nice, I just fancied an old guitar in my collection...

Matt

That is identical to my first ever guitar - it was branded "Kay", and my father bought it from Woolworths for a daft amount in 1972 (I was 12 yo). He also bought a second-hand Selmer 5 Watt all-valve combo to go with it. Then taught me all the Shadows tunes. I liked my dad  :icon_mrgreen:

Wish I still had them ...

mattpocket

Quote from: spudulike on May 11, 2007, 07:11:26 PM
That is identical to my first ever guitar - it was branded "Kay", and my father bought it from Woolworths for a daft amount in 1972 (I was 12 yo). He also bought a second-hand Selmer 5 Watt all-valve combo to go with it. Then taught me all the Shadows tunes. I liked my dad  :icon_mrgreen:

Wish I still had them ...

Upon close inspection, its apparent the logo (which has long since fallen off) was round and was held with two pins, I had a kay les paul that had a round logo, so maybe this one was a kay... rather than a sakai...

The electrics need re-doing, they were definately done on a budget, and the body is made out of plywood! haha I like it though... and for £50 for a 40 year old guitar, who can complain?

Cheers,

Matt

Isaiah

Maybe it's a Top Twenty, Matt.

Here's mine -

oldrocker

My favorite guitar.  It's beautiful.

fixr1984

mattpocket

Quote from: Isaiah on May 12, 2007, 08:49:21 AM
Maybe it's a Top Twenty, Matt.

Yeah, definately could be...

Actually I would pretty safely say it was a top twenty... Do you have any idea of its age? Mine has a serial no of 67 on the back... I dont know if that is the year it was made... How do your pickups sound? My electrics dont work properly yet!

Matt

boogietube

Here's some of mine.
A 1995 Hamer , A 2007 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Acoustic, and a 1994 Fender Stratocaster (Duncan Hot Rail Pickup)
Pedals Built- Morley ABC Box, Fultone A/B Box, DIY Stompboxes True Bypass box, GGG Drop in Wah, AMZ Mosfet Boost, ROG Flipster, ROG Tonemender, Tonepad Big Muff Pi.
On the bench:  Rebote 2.5,  Dr Boogie, TS808

JoeGuitar

Here's a few of mine.   ;)

Hanglow

a few?  :'(

great guitars btw

Gilles C

Quote from: mattpocket on May 08, 2007, 03:50:07 AM
Here is my latest buy...

Its *supposedly* a Sakai, which was a japanese make that were around in the late sixties early seventies which Hohner imported under their name. Here is a website with a picture of a sakai model: http://www.theguitarcollection.org.uk/gallery1/sakai.html

As you can see below, mine looks remarkably like it only the headstock appears blank, although the sakai name plaque could have been lost over the years.

It was on ebay for £70 (starting bid), and didnt sell, I noticed it was relisted as £50 but I was going to be away on holiday when the auction ended, so I put a bid in before I went. Only a couple of quid over the starting bid, and when I got into work this morning, it turns out I won it! I am a bit apprehensive as to whether it is the same guitar as on the link I supplied (mine has two pickups and a trem) and the fact it has no name badge is a bit dodgy too, but I though for £50, you cant complain, I like the look of it anyway and I've been looking for something a bit different. Btw, I am not going to use it in my pop-punk band, as I expect it to sound awful for that style. I'll be using it at home to write with, muck around on, and do the odd bit of psychedelic noodling! haha

Matt

It can also be a Silvertone like mine, which is a '59, the date is stamped on the back of one of the pickups. That's the one on the right. It was exactly the same color as yours before I painted red... It was the kind of guitars sold by Sears back them.

I already posted pics of my newer Teles, but these are my older guitars.

Aria Pro II '73 on the left, my Strat again, an homemade kind of thinline, my DeArmond, and the Silvertone '59

Gilles