Mosfet/Muamp heaven !!

Started by MartyMart, May 02, 2007, 06:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

Worth some experimentation, I'm not posting a schem after recent events, but try
these ideas for some wicked tones from clean to OTT .. AND it's a simple circuit .
1st Stage, Mosfet type BS170 boost, with gain pot off the source pin, 5k to 10k pot.( 10k needs a lower limit resistor of perhaps 220ohms )
2nd stage, Bypass cap,bit of filtering and slight gain reduction ( see jfet marshall amp sims ) into a muamp setup
using 2 x 5457's. ( GEO for muamp articles )
A simple tone control ( optional ) then RC network, pair of 12k's with 2n2/1n's to ground
-> Volume pot.
BINGO, a simple 2 stage Dist, which has a LOT of range and sounds superb for perhaps a parts count of 30 items !
Have a play for a couple of hours and I'm sure that you'll hit a great sound .....input cap/interstage caps and bypass caps
are where the "tone" lies  :icon_wink:

MM :D
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

jrc4558

I tried something like this a couple of years ago. A gain stage before a muAmp is heaven. There's something about muAmp that gives it more of the uncompressed distortion feel, like real tubes...

Ben N

Marty,
From your description, I'm a little confused. Are there one or two stages before the muamp?
Ben
  • SUPPORTER

Phorhas

Awsome Marty, I tried that sort of thing a few years back, when I was in my mod-the-hell-out-of-a-BM-to-get-the=best-blues-tone :)
Sounded awsome, but my strat couldn't get it to do saturated stuff too well... so I dropped it :(

Cool sounds, though!

:)
Electron Pusher

MartyMart

Quote from: Ben N on May 02, 2007, 03:10:17 PM
Marty,
From your description, I'm a little confused. Are there one or two stages before the muamp?
Ben

1 X mosfet stage and 1 X muamp .... that's it !
It's about the best gain range from a simple setup that I've ever tried :D
Sorry for thw lack of detail, but it's not SO hard to fill in the blanks  :icon_wink:

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

Ben N

Where is the bypass cap? Or was that supposed to be a coupling cap  ???
  • SUPPORTER

MartyMart

Quote from: Ben N on May 02, 2007, 03:38:02 PM
Where is the bypass cap? Or was that supposed to be a coupling cap  ???

Bypass cap's off the Mu section - see BSIAB  :icon_wink:
I know it's a bit "vague" but - have a go !!
There is of course a coupling cap off stage 1's drain

jaydawg

MM, you are correct. There is some real tone in there. If you haven't yet you should check out AMZ's newletter on the mini-booster. It's worth every penny and more.

http://www.muzique.com/amproj.htm

MartyMart

Here's a soundfile, set to almost full gain, all changes done with volume knob alone !
Check the nice smooth decay of the end chord .... :icon_mrgreen:
Recorded with Yamaha AES820 HB pups and into Behringer Gi100 cab sim.

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/albums/Martys-layouts-and-photos/Mos_Mu_demo.mp3

MM.

Steben

MOSM technology by marty...  ;D
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Ben N

Sample sounds real nice, Marty.  I love that kind of airy low-o.d. On the cue it goes.
Ben
  • SUPPORTER

MartyMart

Thanks, it's quite terrific "in the flesh" through a valve amp ..... AND

...... NO trimpots !!

MM

Ben N

Kind of in the same sonic territory as a Boss Blues driver on low gain, Mark Hammer's Crank, or a Barber LTD. I use the Boss for this now, but this looks like a great alternative, very clear.
  • SUPPORTER

John Lyons

Yeah, sounds good marty! I'm sure it does sound nice through an amp.
I'll have to draw this up and try it out.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

raulgrell

I'm still a newbie here, so I have no idea what you mean by "after recent events"?
What happened?