Zombie chorus and Ultra Flanger mods!!!!

Started by psyche, May 02, 2007, 04:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

psyche

Hi there,

I was wondering what would happen if i used mn3005 or mn3011 instead of mn3007 in this circuits!Would they work?I think that maybe i will get longer delays!What do you think????

sfx1999

It would work, but the circuits wouldn't behave the same. The flanger wouldn't get as close to zero. I don't know what would happen with the chorus. It would probably be best to reserve those chips for delay pedals.

Mark Hammer

1) Not the same pinout/board-layout for those chips.  You would need to either design your own or perf/vero.

2) To get both echo-length delay AND flanging out of either of those chips, the clock section would likely need to be redesigned.  Getting a clock to sweep the requisite 20:1 ratio or more for decent flanging (e.g., between .5msec and 10msec) is one thing.  Getting it to be able to cover a range of 600:1 (anything between .5msec and 300msec) is quite another.  That IS achievable with a couple of clock ranges, but...

3) Filtering on any analog delay-based effect is set to keep the clock noise out and provide maximum bandwidth.  For flangers, the clock speed is high enough when using a 1024-stage BBD that much of it falls outside human hearing even if it does manage to leak into the signal path.  Squeezing ultra-short delays out of an even larger-capacity BBD involves even higher clock frequencies so that poses no filtering dilemma.  The problem occurs when you want to get long delays out of the BBD and now have to switch to a clock frequency that IS well within the hearing range.  The filtering you would need for those delay times would pretty much ruin the quality of any flanging.  You would need to have a flexible enough circuit/design that the filtering changed with the delay time....and that capability is not on any board I am aware of.

Having said that, the MN3011 does have some short-delay taps available (at 396, 662, and 1194 stages), such that you wouldn't have to change a LOT about the clock circuit in order to achieve flanging range delay times.  Having said that, the way yo posed the question suggests to me that at the moment you would need someone else to do all this planning/design for you, and so I would not suggest tackling it on your own.

psyche

Thanx for the replies, especially you Mark Hammer.Well to tell you the truth i was wondering around John Hollis designs and i remembered that i had a mn3005 and a mn3011.The problem is that i don't have much free time to do all the planing and design and not that i can't do it.So i posed the question here just in case someone else have thought of this mods before.Anyway i am not offended at all if someone thinks something like that.Well maybe i should use the mn30xx in some other apps.Thanx anyway and keep up the good work guys!

Mark Hammer

I keep meaning to get around to finishing a 3011-based chorus I've had semi-perfed for over a year.  Read up all you can on the old A/DA Stereo Tapped Delay (product STD-1, named at a time in history when we were perhaps a little more innocent :icon_wink:).  The 3011 was initially conceived as an ersatz electronic reverb but can be adapted to provide a truly remarkable and truly stereo chorus/vibrato.  Don't waste it.

Alternatively, check out the schematics from some of the older Gallien-Kruger amps that use the MN3011 as their on-board reverb.

psyche

Thanx for the info on Gallien Kruger amps, Mark!!!!Stereo chorus/vibrato with a mn3011????This is something i had in mind two or years ago, but never gone any further!!!Can't wait to see the schems, even in this uncompleted stage!!!

psyche

I just checked that Mark.Pretty simple application, just like on the mn3005 datasheet!

psyche