Clean, *transparent*, amplifier to drive stereo speakers.

Started by rockgardenlove, May 02, 2007, 09:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockgardenlove

I have two cabinet speakers that I'd like to turn into an amp setup for my brothers iPod.  Anybody know of a good circuit that will reproduce the sound pretty accurately?
Hoping to run on not more than 12v wallwart.

Thanks!

jonathan perez

GOOD IDEA...i was JUST thinking of the same thing!!!! i dont want to use a PA as a stereo, anymore, so i want to just use a DIYstereo...
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

jlullo

ruby?  i've never build one, so i don't know how transparent it is

jlullo

ac,
that headwise link is awesome :)  i think i might try out some of these!  especially this one:
http://headwize.com/projects/showfile.php?file=strain1_prj.htm

jonathan

stobiepole

aron

puretube

syndromet

Puretube is right, the tripath chip sounds great. I cheated, and bought the sonic impact amp from thinkgeek.com. Its based on a tripath chip, and it sounds absoloutly amazingly good. Can't say enough good words about it. the 41Hz mentioned above is said to be somewhat simular to the SI, and I have heard people say it sounds eve better. Deffenitivly worth a try.
My diy-site: www.syndromet.com

stobiepole

I run my computer through a 41Hz.com AMP3 I built and put into an old Apple external hard drive case (using the original power supply - they're not fussy about power) and into a pair of Cyburg's Needles DIY full-range speakers and I'm very, very happy.

All of the 41Hz amplifiers use the Tripath chips - they're high quality but low power and low cost. You might want to go with the AMP6 rather than the AMP3 if you don't do surface mount soldering. Or go with something bigger...they really are ridiculously cheap kits.

Chris

Processaurus

Those switching amps are intriguing technology for anyone who's lugged around their share of heavy ol' amps, I seriously wonder if the 41Hz amp 7 (2x500w  :icon_lol:)would make a good, lightweight stereo amp for guitar and general sound reinforcement, I have this embarrassing problem that its hard to find a reaaally loud clean guitar amp, been thinking a PA/hi-fi amp + a decent preamp might be a better way to go.