Ruetz Rat Mod Question

Started by the recluse, May 04, 2007, 12:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the recluse

I have a quick question about implementing the Trimpot in a Rat for the Ruetz mod.

When replacing the resistor with the trimmer, are only two of the legs of the trimmer connected, and the third is one left unconnected to anything?

Looking at Dano's pics of the FKR prototype that seems to be the case, I just wanted to confirm it before I tear apart my clone (again...)

dano12

Quote from: the recluse on May 04, 2007, 12:40:33 PM
I have a quick question about implementing the Trimpot in a Rat for the Ruetz mod.

When replacing the resistor with the trimmer, are only two of the legs of the trimmer connected, and the third is one left unconnected to anything?

Looking at Dano's pics of the FKR prototype that seems to be the case, I just wanted to confirm it before I tear apart my clone (again...)

Yep, use either lugs 1 and 2, or 2 and 3. Lots of pot/trimmer implementations tie the unused lug back to the wiper (lug 2) but that is generally only to protect against sudden resistance drops if the pot goes bad.

If you have the room on the enclosure, making this a 500ohm or 1k linear pot as a knob is really fun too so you don't have to keep opening the case to tweak.

the recluse

Thanks!

This build definitely doesn't have room for another knob (there is barely enough room for the battery after adding a toggle switch for diode/red led clip selection) but after picking up the AMZ e-book on the Rat, I have the urge to tinker some more.

the recluse

Success!

I added the 1K trimmer, swapped out the SPST I had for the clipping diodes and replaced it with a DPDT center off switch.  I can see how using a 1K external pot can be useful because there is so much variation in sound available through out the sweep of the trimmer.

I also reduced the input impedence according to the specs in the AMZ e-book, and on the whole it seems significantly less noisy (in a good way).

What I was most surprised about actually was the no clipping diodes setting.  The red leds are noticably louder than the 1n914s, but the volume increase from pulling all of the diodes out is even more so.