[help] tonebender mark ii transistor help - and volume drop

Started by ulysses, May 07, 2007, 10:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulysses

hey guys

i finally built my tonebender mark II on vero. ordered the trannies from small bear just last week and got them already. thanks steve!

please refer to http://aronnelson.com/gallery/ulysses_layouts/ulysses_tb_mkII_vero

i got 3 trannie bags. 2 marked 70 and one marked 142

i put the one small trannie marked as 70 in Q1 (2SB77), a bigger trannie marked 70 in Q2 and a bigger trannie marked 142 in Q3

i tried to find datasheets but could only find the datasheet for the one 2SB77. i used the standard pnp transistor wiring method of the other 2 transistors.

becasue this pedal is positive ground, do i have to put the collector and emmiter round the other way? when i put them around the other way, it sounds really nice. when i put them round the way the schem is drawn up (c-north b-west e-south) then it sounds all "clippy" like its got the wrong voltages going on.

another thing is - there is a volume drop with the pedal engaged. is this normal for this circuit?

thanks for your help guys
ulysses

ulysses

nightingale

Sure,
If you have a DMM with a transistor tester, you can figure out the pinout by trial and error Hfe testing. If you don't have a transistor testing DMM your diode tester can guide to find the "PN" or "NP" junctions.  A transistor is basically a couple of diodes. I have built a couple of PNP MKII's with low gain tranny's that had almost enough output, but not quite enough. Check out the mayer fuzz face mods for getting more gain in the MKII [470R=1k2]. The second half of the TB circuit is a Fuzz Face. Look at the schematics at fuzz central or wherever.

hope this helps man,
ry
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

ulysses

hahaha

you know nature is telling you to get more sleep when you get the pots rounds the wrong way..

1k pot for volume and 100k pot for fuzz! gave me reduced volume and crackly fuzz..

with 100k for volume and 1k for fuzz it sounds sweet as!!

had the trannies round the right way the first time.

thanks again to steve at small bear for the fantastic trannies!! will update my vero layout to include trannie orientation real soon!

cheers
ulysses