Little Gem, GemMKII, or Ruby amp?

Started by momo, May 08, 2007, 09:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

momo

I want to build one of these, I have been searching the site and others to see which one I would build. I guess I could eliminate the Little Gem without the input buffer, so between the MKII and Ruby, which one do you guys like best?
Also I would like to do add a "second volume post amplification, so that I have control over the output level all the while being able to keep the distortion.
So between the 2 , is there one that lends itself better for this mod?
Sorry for the redundant topic!
"Alas to those who die with their song still in them."

morcey2

I can't comment on the gemMKII or the Ruby, but I've built several Little Gem's with an added mpf102 buffer and they have become quite popular with some of my kids friends.  Adding the buffer helps brighten the sound a wee bit.

Matt

ambulancevoice

MKII delivers 1 watt in a 4 ohm speaker and has no controls, but a gain pot and a volume pot can easily added
Ruby delivers 1/2 watt, and already has gain and volume

so which?
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

momo

Ok thanks alot for that, for sure ill go for the 1/2watt Ruby, I dont need it particularly loud, but I like the fact that I would be pushing it to get the tone, thanks again!

Beros

Quote from: momo on May 09, 2007, 04:52:20 PM
Ok thanks alot for that, for sure ill go for the 1/2watt Ruby, I dont need it particularly loud, but I like the fact that I would be pushing it to get the tone, thanks again!
I've built the Ruby (well actually the Noisy cricket, Dano12's take on it.. (tone-pot and grit-switch added)) and I must say that it's one sweet sounding little machine.

Go for it! It sure is loud enough.
Man ska inte ligga med lik

spud

Great minds think a like!!!  :D   

I was working on a layout for a Ruby with a Big Daddy front end.  I bought some 386L (SIL) from mouser (a mistake on my order - thought I was getting DIP8 - instead I got SIL 8).  Oh well, I figure I can lay them out back to back on my Radio shack IC perf board (this one: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102845&cp=2032058.2032230.2032265&parentPage=family )

I will post the layout (done with Bancika's DIYLAYOUT tool). 

Some things that are still issues that I need to work on: 

1) a bypass switch for the Big Daddy OD when I don't want it active. 
2) Need to figure out if I can remove the Big daddys volume and just use the ruby.  Maybe I'll have to build it and see. 
3) Add a Tone control - like Big Muff? - seems simple enough.  Or maybe the BSIAB tone control -

OT - In fact, building this was interupted when I started reading all the rave reviews the BSIAB and BSIAB II were getting here.  So I bought the RTS board from GGG and still collecting all the parts (see my post on Futurlec  >:(  - argh!)  - anyway, will start building that now. 

Anyway, I will post the layout later today. It uses the RS perf board and the SILs - kind of strange when you look at it but the SILS are cool because everything is in a straight line.  Oh, I plan on using half a 16 pin IC socket.  I'll just cut it with my Dremel.   

From what I've heard (samples) and read the Rudy is cool as anything!   

remmelt

I've built a ruby and it's great. I also have a Smokey amp (bought), which is supposed to be similar (right?)

The Ruby is MUCH better with effects. Smokey easily distorts which makes for a cool little box, but it's not meant to be used with effects. I vote Ruby.

FisTheGoon

So any speaker with 4 ohm will do rite?

ambulancevoice

4 ohm, 6 ohm, 8 ohm, dont matter
keep in mind, as the ohms go up, the output wattage goes down
so the lower the ohm, the more wattage and volume
the higher, the less wattage and volume

grolschie

After reading this thread today I took a break from debugging the dreaded EA Tremolo and built a Ruby. I sat it (un-boxed) on top of my Laney combo and plugged its speaker in (12" Eminence Governor 8ohm). Sounds great!!!

I'm not sure if this is normal, but when both knobs are at zero, it's not at zero volume. It's clean but very quiet - but still playable at that level though. When both knobs cranked, it sounds very very dirty in a good way. I doubt I'd need an overdrive pedal with this. I forget which knob is which because they both act like dirt knobs and neither seems to affect the volume massively. For me, it's not exactly "many shades of clean", but very thick and overdriven with my strat. I used a LM386 instead of the JRC386D - if that makes a difference? Also used greencaps, metal-film resistors and my Boss 9vDC adapter.

Overall I am stoked with it and am undecided whether to box in in the aluminium case I bought for it, or in a Milo tin.

ambulancevoice

grolschie

Quote from: ambulancevoice on May 12, 2007, 05:03:22 AM
milo tin! MILO TIN!!

Or perhaps some other household item that is closer to the shape of a amp head? My Milo tin is still full (almost).  ;D

This got me thinking..... such a simple circuit, so why do companies bother with "Valvestate"-this and "Transtube"-that? The Ruby sounds way way better than my old Peavey Studio Pro 112 Transtube.

Hanglow

Quote from: grolschie on May 12, 2007, 04:50:43 AM

I'm not sure if this is normal, but when both knobs are at zero, it's not at zero volume. It's clean but very quiet - but still playable at that level though. When both knobs cranked, it sounds very very dirty in a good way. I doubt I'd need an overdrive pedal with this. I forget which knob is which because they both act like dirt knobs and neither seems to affect the volume massively. For me, it's not exactly "many shades of clean", but very thick and overdriven with my strat.

Mine is completely quiet with both down. With the gain down at zero, I can get to about 3 on the volume knob before it starts breaking up, with a single coil strat and 9v power supply. with 12v I can get to about four or five on the volume. Then after that it starts breaking up in a very nice way - i like how the controls are interactive.

QuoteThis got me thinking..... such a simple circuit, so why do companies bother with "Valvestate"-this and "Transtube"-that? The Ruby sounds way way better than my old Peavey Studio Pro 112 Transtube.

I know its a lot better than the park g10 it replaced for me certainly!

grolschie

Quote from: Hanglow on May 12, 2007, 05:45:47 AM

One could perhaps gut a crappy practice amp and install the Ruby circuit. Upgrading the speaker would be easy at a later stage. Nice compact, great sounding package.

momo

Grolshie, I curious, how would you use the tin can?, does it have the same dimensions as a speaker that would fit on top?
I really love funky enclosures and Im curious to see what you would do with the tin!

grolschie

Quote from: momo on May 12, 2007, 08:41:02 AM
Grolshie, I curious, how would you use the tin can?, does it have the same dimensions as a speaker that would fit on top?
I really love funky enclosures and Im curious to see what you would do with the tin!

Sorry for the anti-climax, but I would be making a head only, not a combo. The Ruby sounds great through a 12" speaker, so anything smaller would be out of the question for me now. :-) You could mount the circuit and controls in anything tiny i.e. cigarette packet, beer can, etc.

I guess you could mount it in a large tin can and use a car stereo speaker (about the same diameter as the can) mounted in the top. However, hifi speakers would sound harsh and crappy I would imagine.

remmelt

Quote from: grolschie on May 12, 2007, 05:52:24 AM
Quote from: Hanglow on May 12, 2007, 05:45:47 AM

One could perhaps gut a crappy practice amp and install the Ruby circuit. Upgrading the speaker would be easy at a later stage. Nice compact, great sounding package.

Exactly what I did. Park G10 exit, enter Ruby!
This amp is in heavy use today. It's my main practice and pedal testing amp.

Hanglow

Yours looks great remmelt. Mine is still in it's crappy park state with just the two ruby controls. I have yet to improve it enough to take it camping with me.