Behringer DR-100 mod for MORE reverb!

Started by jamontoast, May 08, 2007, 11:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamontoast

More is always better :) Here's a little guide on how to swap the crystal over to make the trails longer. It starts with a 10mhz crystal but I've heard you can clock it all the way down to a 2mhz crystal, I'm gonna try that one later on :) I only used a 6mhz and it made it a lot more versitile!

http://www.thevulpine.com.au/journal/entry.php?blogid=8 <- the link

Any thoughts? Does anyone have any other good mods for these digital pedals?

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

ambulancevoice

that guy sounds really pissed off
"That's right, you heard what I said. I'm a @#$%ing huge geek. "
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

scaesic

the quality of the actual reverb is still pretty bad, is there a way to tame the metalic nature of the reverb?  i know you can do it with the lpf but i tend to have it all the way which results in a really muffled sound.

jonathan perez

hes like the Maddox that never was...

BEST PAGE IN THE UNIVERSE: http://maddox.xmission.com/

scaesic

how didf you remove thecrystal? i cant get it out.

jamontoast

what you do is you use a solder sucker to take the solder off the bottom of the crysal, then hold your iron against it, channel all your rage into it and pull and pull and pull

you've got to be a bit delicate and forceful at the same time, it's really damn hard

hahahah

CHANNEL THAT RAGE INTO YOUR SOLDERING IRON! just don't have people around when you do it, or you might stab them

that would be like the best move in some sort of horror / action movie. soldering iron stab! through the eye!

i'm an angry boy, i have to say :)

it does sound a little metallic, but i run it through a mixer that removes about 600 khz of bass, and the tone control on the actual reverb pedal helps to take away a lot of the high end metal sound, you get a really nice long flowing verb at the end:

http://www.thevulpine.com.au/mp3s/dontholdback.mp3

i had rehearsal last night to test it out, my guitar is the arpeggio rhythm guitar, listen to that nice chimey sound! (it also has the behringer delay to make the trails even longer)

jamontoast

oh yeah, i use one of those pcb claw holder things to hold stuff while i'm soldering, they're like an extra set of hands

scaesic

yeah iv got a solder sucker and one of those 3rd hands, i gave up just now, i tried for a ood half hour, it had a big slob of solder on the top side of the crystal, and when you heat it up you cant pull, because its red hot...

il try again another time, for now im worried that iv removed the solder pads with all my "de-soldering"

jamontoast

You'll have to use a pair of pliers to grab the crystal and pull it

i found that if you don't yank it as much, more kind of bend it so it's 90 degrees to the pcb (just bend it downwards) it well pull it's legs out of the pcb while being bent.

just remember to first suck off as much solder as possible!

scaesic

aye, il give it another go using a vice and some pliers. cheers.

Elektrojänis

It seems to have the same Coolaudio V1000 chip as DD100. ATmega8 seems to be there too. They are probably quite similar. I have some pics of DD100 here: http://koti.welho.com/pjunno/temp/behringer_dd100_mod/

Probably the biggest difference is that DR100 has stereo input and the software in the ATmega8 is different.

jamontoast

dude! what mod did you do to your dd100? checking out your mp3s, sound veeery nice, MASSIVE verb, is that the dr100 with a slower chip?

Elektrojänis

Most of the details of my mod for DD100 are in this thread: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=54595.0

The pedal uses Coolaudio V1000 Chip for the processing. It has some internal effect programs, but in DD100 they are not used. Instead, there is a microprocessor (Atmega8) that reads the potentiometers and feeds a custom program based on the pot values to the V1000.

I simply made it possible to access the built-in programs of the V1000 via some dip switches.

The extra programs are not very usefull as a guitar pedal though. The built in programs of the V1000 can not be controlled in any way with the pots of the pedal and they are wet only (even the dry/wet blend pot will not work). The dry/wet blend in my soundsamples is made externally. Reverbs sound a bit larger than they are designed to as the pedal uses 24kHz sampling fequency. The programs are designed for 48kHz.

jamontoast

dude, do you reakon you could tell me what pins to bridge to enable the largest reverb? i just happen to run my guitar setup through a wet/dry mixer, so a completely wet massive reverb would be awesome for me! i've got the same delay pedal as you.

cheers :D

jam!

jonathan perez

WHAT MOD IS THAT!?!? (to the digital delay)  :o :o

jamontoast

On Elektrojänis's thread, he identifies the delay microprocessor as a sort of multi effects chip, and by bridging certain pins, you can enable them, although the pots will no longer have any effect and the effect will be 100% wet.

Swwwwweeeeeetttttt :)

jonathan perez

Elektrojänis

Quote from: jamontoast on June 27, 2007, 02:29:30 AM
dude, do you reakon you could tell me what pins to bridge to enable the largest reverb? i just happen to run my guitar setup through a wet/dry mixer, so a completely wet massive reverb would be awesome for me! i've got the same delay pedal as you.

You mean like 0011_chamber2.mp3 on my samples?

If I remember this correctly it goes like this:

1. Pin 2 of the V1000 chip is grounded. Pull it up. This makes the chip go in to internal program mode (normally in DD100 it is in external program mode).
2. Pull up pins 5, 6, 7 and 8 too. They are used to select the internal program. Pins 5 and 6 also double as the programming pins when it is in external mode.

After this you can select the program you want by grounding some program select pins (5-8). You can check the programs at the internal programs list on the v1000 datasheet. 0 means pin grounded and 1 means it is pulled to 5v (it is enough that it is floating as the chip pulls it up to 5v by itself then).

One other thin about that pach list... Prog[3:0] means that program select pin 3 (pin 8 on the chip) is the first number and program select pin 0 is written last (pin 5 on the chip). That had me puzzled for a while.

So...

3. Ground pins 7 and 8 to get the long reverb. (Actually you could have just pulled up pins 5 and 6 and left 7 and 8 alone at part 2.)

I used some dip switches so I can select any program and use the normal delay mode of the DD100 too.

This probably works on some other Behringer pedals, but the reverbs might not be as long as they have higher sampling frequency, but for that you can change the clock crystal.