[fyi] new verified Hot Tubes Clone posted at gaussmarkov.net

Started by gaussmarkov, May 10, 2007, 01:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaussmarkov

stobiepole and i worked this one up together.  his build has no oscillation or excessive hum.

http://gaussmarkov.net/index.php?page=layouts#hottubes

enjoy, gm  :icon_biggrin:

Ben N

• SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

Excellent.  Nice compact layout, thanks to the WIMA caps and some careful planning.

Just note that while this circuit CAN work on a single 9v battery, it goes through them like a 15 year-old boy goes through milk and cereal.  Not quite digital-pedal fast, but fast enough to highly recommend wallwart operation/powering.  There was a reason the original had an on-board transformer.

markm

MartyMart

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

gaussmarkov

michal_k

great site, i read all about eagle and helped me a lot,

thanks

Joe Kramer

Solder first, ask questions later.

www.droolbrothers.com

skiraly017

Does anyone have sound samples? Curious how this sounds. A description/comparison would do as well. Thanks.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

johngreene

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 10, 2007, 02:35:41 PM
Excellent.  Nice compact layout, thanks to the WIMA caps and some careful planning.

Just note that while this circuit CAN work on a single 9v battery, it goes through them like a 15 year-old boy goes through milk and cereal.  Not quite digital-pedal fast, but fast enough to highly recommend wallwart operation/powering.  There was a reason the original had an on-board transformer.

Really? From the schematic it looks like this should draw less than 1mA. Maybe on yours the unused gates weren't tied off and they were oscillating?  Although at second glance, the tone control could sink some serious current....

--john
I started out with nothing... I still have most of it.

gaussmarkov

Quote from: skiraly017 on May 15, 2007, 01:32:10 PM
Does anyone have sound samples? Curious how this sounds. A description/comparison would do as well. Thanks.

courtesy of mark hammer in another thread:  the (discontinued) black dog and tweed e. dog are close, maybe even exact.
go to http://www.snarlingdogs.com/ then "Discontinued Products"

rockgardenlove

What a bizarre analogy.  I'm a 15 year old boy (though nearing on 16) and I haven't eaten a bowl of cereal all year.  As far as I know my friends don't eat much cereal either.  I'll have to ask. 

(Not to sound grumpy or anything, just never heard it before.)

I'll be trying this for sure!  Looks cool!

Ben N

Just for the record, I have a 14 year-old boy, and he sure does put away the milk & cereal.  ;D
The analogy didn't strike me as bizarre at all. But it's ok, RGL, I'm sure Mark didn't mean ALL 15 year-old boys!

Ben
  • SUPPORTER

rockgardenlove

Haha! :D
No biggie...just struck me as sorta strange.
Cheers!

Mark Hammer

Quote from: johngreene on May 15, 2007, 01:54:33 PM

Really? From the schematic it looks like this should draw less than 1mA. Maybe on yours the unused gates weren't tied off and they were oscillating?  Although at second glance, the tone control could sink some serious current....

--john
Check around and you will see that the original came in a Memory Man-sized chassis with an AC cord.  I don't know exactly how much current it draws, but I'm pretty confident that Mike Matthews would not have released a pedal with a wall-powered supply if it didn't need one.  Keep in mind that the original didn't even have to supply current to a low brightness 1970's-era LED either.  FWIW, I power mine with a 9v battery, but then I don't gig so I don't have to be concerned with a battery holding up for 2hrs at a time.

AL

Wow !! Nice job on the site. That one's getting bookmarked. Keep up the good work.

AL

johngreene

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 17, 2007, 09:46:14 AM
Quote from: johngreene on May 15, 2007, 01:54:33 PM

--john
Check around and you will see that the original came in a Memory Man-sized chassis with an AC cord.  I don't know exactly how much current it draws, but I'm pretty confident that Mike Matthews would not have released a pedal with a wall-powered supply if it didn't need one. 

I've seen companies do stranger things for marketing reasons. I'm not saying it isn't possible it draws a lot of current but I would still be interested in measuring it, but not so interested that I would build one up just to measure it.  :icon_wink:

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 17, 2007, 09:46:14 AM
Keep in mind that the original didn't even have to supply current to a low brightness 1970's-era LED either.  FWIW, I power mine with a 9v battery, but then I don't gig so I don't have to be concerned with a battery holding up for 2hrs at a time.

Well, maybe someone who builds one will measure the current. The only issue I could see is that while you are playing, the tone stack presents a hefty load and if that is the source of the current draw, the tone control could be scaled up to reduce it. However, running it at a lower drive might affect the sound.

--john
I started out with nothing... I still have most of it.

stobiepole

Okay...now I think I measured it correctly...I get about 3.6 mA consumption from the Hot Tubes, versus about 1.6 mA from a Tone Bender Mk 3 I happened to have lying around (same battery for both).  I put the DMM between one of the battery terminals and the circuit proper.

I currently have a 1M pot on it for the gain, just because I didn't have a 2M on hand...I don't know if that would make a difference at all.

Chris