News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Ts-808 Help

Started by Blaze, June 12, 2007, 05:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaze

I've just finished my Ts-808 clone using the General Guitar Gadgets layout and PCB. I have no sound coming out when the unit is powered up but the LED comes on, so I know there is power. Also the true bypass works when the unit is off. When using the search button I came across an article that say the SC1815 transistors need  to have 2 of the pins reversed. Is this true? Any help would be appreciated!

QSQCaito

Read the debug thread. Post voltages, etc etc. And you could also build a signal tracer

Cheers
D.A.C

Blaze

O.K. here are the voltages, I'm pretty sure they're all screwed up. I'm using a 9V adapter at 8.93V. I also substituted the 51pf cap with a 47pf cap. I don't know if this would affect anything but I used these HUGE red film caps for the 1uf non-polarized ones, they have a voltage rating of 250V and read '105J (copyright) 250VMPE.
D1
A - 4.56V
K - 4.54V

D2
A - 4.54V
K - 4.56V

D3 - 4.58V (I have this wired up as a switch from a jumper to add in the optional extra 1N914 diode for asymmetrical clipping)

Q1
E - 8.22V
B - 8.23V
C - 8.93V

Q2
E - 8.22V
B - 8.23V
C - 8.93V

IC1
Pin 1 - 4.54V
Pin 2 - 4.55V
Pin 3 - 4.53V
Pin 4 - 0
Pin 5 - 4.54V
Pin 6 - 4.54V
Pin 7 - 4.54V
Pin 8 - 8.93V

QSQCaito

The IC looks Ok ;)

Q1 and Q2 are definitively bad. Check with a mgnifying lense for solder bridges around that areas, also check solder blobs, and resolder everything that looks likeit could cause a problem.
D.A.C

markm

Are you using trannys that correspond to the correct pinout posted in the layout?

Blaze

Yes, the transistors are oriented exactly as the layout for ggg.com says it should be.

petemoore

I'd check that the emitter resitors are actually connected to ground and that they are the smal' value.
  Somethings letting the emitters 'float' real high off ground, or pulling the E's and Bases up toward V+.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Blaze

I double checked them it hasn't changed, but I did notice something different. Instead of running it on a wall wart like I was before, I decided to use a 9v battery. The battery was almost dead and then I noticed that there was some Humming/buzzing/farting noise going on, but only when I used the battery. Any opinions?

Blaze

Thanks for all the help guys! I figured it out. It must have been a cold solder joint because, as a last resort, I went through the entire board and resoldered every joint and it started to work. I appreciate all the help!