Switching Mains with a stomp.....

Started by chunks717, June 14, 2007, 05:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chunks717

I want to add a stomp to my voodoo labs pedal power 2 (which has to be done on the mains since each DC out comes from a different xformer secondary), and after searching here found this from Paul (frostwave) in reference to our 3pdt taiwanese blues:

"these switches are NOT intended for small level audio signals.
They are intended for switching mains voltage, and the 110 or 230 just blasts the grease off the switch contacts.
It's a miracle that stomp switches are as good as they are."

So done deal right? Just use heavy guage wire and keep the connections clean......
In houses we switch the hot and leave the ground. same deal here yeah?

Ben N

I don't know how you would solder 18-ga wire to those terminals. I also can't imagine why you would want to. Sorry, but this strikes me as a not-so-good idea.

Ben
  • SUPPORTER

MikeH

Yeah.  If it were me, I'd just plug the thing into a surge protector.  Bam.  Done.  No fires, no electrocution, no unnecessary modifications.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

chunks717

Every electronic thing on the planet has a switch, I can't see why that is a bad idea....

I have never seen the specs for these switches, and figured someone here must have.

mohn

I once made a footswitch that controlled some stage lights for a friend's band.  I used this dpdt switch from smallbear for the mains switching.  They worked pretty well, and had a free pole for an led (and isolated them well.  I don't know what mains voltage would do to an led if something shorted, but I would expect a burning smell...)  ;)

I believe I also switched the mains and left the ground as well.

Mains voltage is always a different ball game though, so be very comfortable with the mod before plugging anything in!

Then again, surge protectors are amazing on many levels.   Not very diy, but very easy/safe.

soulsonic

You don't need a 3PDT to switch mains power - you could just use any old SPST switch. Does it have to be a footswitch? Any switch that has a high enough current rating will do.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

Processaurus

ha ha, a true pedal person stoops down only as a last resort, why flip a switch when you can stomp a switch?

Are the 3pdt's rated for 110?  I believe they were designed specifically for stompboxes.  The Carlings are definitely for line voltage though, and a SPST would do.

But why not skip a switch and make a switched outlet on your amp (on when you turn the amp on) for your pedal power.  One switch, and you're good to go.

Lachlan C.

I don't know... Something about switching 240V with my foot with a footswitch connected to a metal case makes me feel not so good!!
I'm sure the switch is rated for that but it just doesn't sit well with me.  :icon_eek:

I think the safest option would be to have a footswitch control an optically isolated relay that is a high current/high voltage type that switches the mains voltage on/off. Least then if something goes wrong with the switch it will only be 5V or 12V DC that is floating around. Remote switching with a relay keeping the mains separate from your shoe/body I think is the way to go.

All the best - Lach  :)

MikeH

Those x-wing type switches were initially used for main voltage, so they'd be fine.  The 3pdts we use... I don't think so.  They seem to melt pretty easily...

The question is:  Why do you want to do it?  What makes it necessary or even useful?  I'm all for modding for the hell of it, but this seems like it may be dangerous and wouldn't serve much of a purpose.  Is it just so you don't have to bend over to turn it on?

It would be less dangerous if it was 3 prong wiring, that way you could at least ground the chassis and not run the risk of having a short cause the chassis to become electrified and turning you into a piece of toast.  :-\
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

chunks717

Pedal power 2 is three prong, and the chassis is grounded.

Dave_B

The blue 3pdt ehx/cliff switches were originally intended for vacuum cleaners. 

...not kidding this time.
Help build our Wiki!