News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Midi Switcher

Started by Dimitree, April 14, 2007, 06:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimitree

Hi everyone!  :)

I'd like to try to build a little Midi Switcher like the All Access or the Skrydstrup..that has the possibility of switching the presets stored for the loops.. It is possible? what do I need? I'm a beginner so I'd like to know how to do it.. Thank you very much, Dimitri  ;)

R.G.

QuoteIt is possible?
Sure.

Quotewhat do I need?
1. A programmable microcontroller, PIC, AVR, there are others.
2. Means to program the controller. Usually programmer you buy or make up.
3. Knowledge of how to program the microcontroller. This subdivides into (a) knowledge of how to program in the general sense and (b) knowledge of how to program that controller specifically.
4. If you program in a high level language, you need the cross compiler to do that. If not, an assembler for the controller you pick.
5. A good understanding of the hardware layer of the MIDI protocol so you can build the interface.
6. A good understanding of the logical nature of the MIDI protocol so you can program the controller to read and write messages in it.
7. A workable design of the hardware: controller, power supply, oscillator, etc. as well as the electronic design of how the controller connects to the relays and other stuff it works
8. Some kind of development lashup for programming and testing your code until you get a version of the code that works
9. A final version of the switcher. This will involve a solid, reliable box to put it in, wiring for all of the jacks, 1 par per loop, boards for the electronics and the relays, DIN jacks, power supply. To build all of this you're going to have to know (a) how to solder (b) how to wire (c) how to build enclosures or modify enclosures you buy, etc.

That's about it. Nothing to it.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

moosapotamus

moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

KB

Hi

maybe these would be of interest?   Simple midi switch and effects looper.

midi switch

http://www.jimkim.de/html/guitar01_01.htm

Looper

http://www.jimkim.de/html/guitar02_01.htm

I started work on the looper for a few months ago.  But since my knowledge of programing PICs is zero, and I only have a little pascal and Fortran programming experience writing my own code is beyond me at the moment.  Will have to wait until I have more time to learn some new stuff.    :icon_rolleyes:

Dean Hazelwanter posted pictures of his FX Switcher Project

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=56264.0

This is the sort of think I was aiming for..... but it is beyond my knowledge and skill at the moment.

The Crossbar thread started by Peter Snowberg also contains a lot of good ideas.  Chuck has made some real progress, looking forward to seeing the end result.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=43104.0

Kevin

Dimitree

thank you all!

The looper that KB posted seems very interesting! It is a complete project? Can I try building this? It seems easier than others..it's right?

Seljer

KB

Hi Dimitri 

Just remember that this does not allow you to change the order of the effects, it is nowhere near as complex as  commercial products like the All Access or the Skrydstrup.

However it does allow for forty patchs, banks 0-9 with 4 patches in each bank, so if you can live with your effects being in a set order then go for it.

Everything is on the website.  There is layout available,  The code is available to download, so if you can sort out a PIC programmer, or know someone who can program the chip for you then you may be able to build it.

I sourced all the components from Futerlec, but you may have other local suppliers.

kevin

Dimitree

Thank you again Kevin..
I don't need to change the order of the effects.. I just need presets for the song.. Ex: Song 1: SD-1 and DD-20; Song 2: TS-9, Ce-2, Reverb, ecc.ecc.. I need something like this, and if it's possible I need the switches that allow to switch the loops during the song.. I don't know if I'm clear..

Chuck

Then you want Project Crossbar.

aka, a Matrix effects switcher.

widdly

If you have a trawl through the midibox www.ucapps.de there are some examples of driving relays and mixer chips from a pic and interfacing to midi.  It's very well supported and documented.