Help on my May Queen Booster

Started by WelshWonder, January 19, 2007, 07:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WelshWonder

BUMP

Sorry guys, but what can cause this noise?

petemoore

It's the only type I got, it's a 2.2uF rated 50V. Could that cause problems then?
  If it hasn't been reverse polarized and is new it's almost certainly good.
  I've re-verified transistor pinouts, and found mispinouts after verifying them a few times..
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MartyMart

It is a "high gain treble booster" pedal, so you are going to get some hiss, this is the reason
that I don't use mine much !!
The 2N5088 at Q1 would probably help you a bit, as it's lower noise than a BC109.
There's a couple of things you could try :
Adjusting the 33k between Q1 C and Q2 B increase should lower the gain a bit
Adding the "Stupidly simple tone control" at the end , may offer some "hiss" control ( search )
Did you add the optional high filter cap around the 10k trimpot ??

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

gervasoni

Hi, don't know if this could be helpful, but i would try with a lower hfe transistor. Current gain on a BC109 is really higher than 2n5088 one, and this could be the source of hiss (oscillation i suppose, as it disappears as you pluck a note, but it should appear also as a noisy distortion). I'll try with a 2n5088, or a lower gain transistor like BC237 and even 2n2222a or 2n3904. The MPSA06 sounds really nice when driving a J201 in my booster!
Cheers

enigmur

The BC109 has a different pinout than the trannie you replaced, it is BCE, not CBE (well mine was anyway).

Have you tried twisting the C and B legs around so they swap sockets? (make sure they dont touch).

Then again, I dont think it would work at all if this was the case...
Quote from: jlullo on May 02, 2007, 12:37:12 AM
i have to get my hands on some of your germs.  very soon.
Anywhere but here, that would seem odd...