Author Topic: pcb layout help  (Read 3543 times)

ivadell

pcb layout help
« on: May 23, 2007, 07:56:43 PM »
this seemed pretty simple so i put it in here. i'm making my first project and i think i have most bases covered, except for one little thing.
i know this is probably a stupid question, but with the printed pcb layouts, it is just a series of lines and thick circles. are the lines where my wire will be running under the board, and the think circles where i solder? i made this picture quickly incase i wasn't clear.

thanks for any and all help. this is the only thing stopping me from starting. i'm just a bit confused. cheers

hendriko

Re: pcb layout help
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 08:25:37 PM »
the "lines" are made from copper, so they conduct the current
you don't need any wire with PCB, you just solder the parts in the right place (thats what the "circles" are for - you drill holes through em, stick the right part through, and solder it in)
Gimme gimme shock treatment.

ivadell

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 08:32:19 PM »
i don't have ready to solder PCB just normal copper backed, does this make a difference

hendriko

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
are you planning on etching your own PCB?
Gimme gimme shock treatment.

ivadell

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 02:15:30 AM »
i didn't really want to seeing as it's a simple plan. are the two options etching, or using perfboard and just soldering the required wires together? i think i might have to to do the second option. thanks for your help. i was a bit confused on the difference with the two but i understand now.
cheers
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 02:49:38 AM by ivadell »

Muthauzem

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 10:37:17 PM »
Well, just to make it clear:

There's a lot of ways to build your circuit.

The most common one is to use a circuit board.

I believe that the most commons are the Stripboard, the Perfboard and the Printed Board.

Strip and Perf boards are standard and come already etched and drilled. The PCB can have an specific layout, so you have to print it on a board full of copper and then remove the copper that is not printed and finally drill the holes.

Usually PCBs can handle more compact and organized layouts then the other ones, But require more effort.

Bye