Author Topic: Sound/Tone of the Boost  (Read 9131 times)

Sir_Edward_V

Sound/Tone of the Boost
« on: May 24, 2007, 10:45:24 AM »
Well, I basically want a clean boost, no alteration of tone whatsoever, I just want it to make me louder.  I read somewhere that with the knob set a bit lower you can get this, but is it a significant/noticable boost?

aron

Re: Sound/Tone of the Boost
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 04:20:16 PM »
This is an interesting question. If you want the exact sound - just louder. Your easiest bet is to build an op amp booster. Most people here like a little dirt to liven up the tone.

Sir_Edward_V

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 04:47:29 PM »
Well, I already have a good OD and a good fuzz, I would rather not alter the tone of these, but then again, i guess that adding a little dirt might not be noticable with them on...

could you direct me to a schematic of an op amp boost then? if you know where one is off hand anyways

aron

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 06:44:52 PM »

tcobretti

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 07:10:54 PM »
Another idea is to put the booster in your amp's effects loop.  I haven't tried this, and I would definitely build a very transparent booster with a volume knob and start with it all the way down. 

Sir_Edward_V

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 12:05:04 AM »
Thanks

I want to actually learn how these circuits work, why they do what they do and how to manipulate them. I don't want to merely assemble them...

Where can I go to learn this?  I have a feeling I will learn these kinds of things eventually since I'm in Electrical Engineering, but I wanna learn now! lol... never thought I'd say that...

edit: trying to figure soe stuff out from wiki, but a different source would be nice
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 12:18:45 AM by Sir_Edward_V »

Sir_Edward_V

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 02:10:51 AM »
Looking into building the op-amp thing, I found almost all the parts I need all but the 220 pF cap. Closest I could find was a 330pF, is that significant?

aron

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 04:51:53 AM »
That would work. I think you can go as low as 50pf if you want. It's mainly there to smooth out the highs and prevent oscillation.

Aron

Sir_Edward_V

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 02:07:24 PM »
is that 25k pot a linear, audio, or reverse log?

also, I want to buy the enclosure with everything else since I order them online, it will be cheaper. Do you know how much room I will need?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 02:25:38 PM by Sir_Edward_V »

aron

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 03:26:05 PM »
The pot can be either linear or audio. I just use linear.
If this is your first build, go with a bigger box always. 1590BB box.

You can use any pot actually. The higher the value, the more boost but within limits of the power supply. Use 50V caps and you should be able to run it at 18V or more within the limits of the chip.

Sir_Edward_V

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 03:51:05 PM »
well im going to be using a 9V DC boss style power adapter, is there a way to pull 18V (positive I assume) out of that?

BTW thanks for all the help

aron

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 04:54:18 PM »
Try it with 9V first. There are voltage doublers - see the Wiki and the FAQ within the Wiki.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/wiki/

I would go with 9V first.

Aron

Sir_Edward_V

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 05:30:35 PM »
oh and what is that arrow pointing away from the output? thats not supposed to be a diode is it?

aron

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 07:03:27 PM »
No, ignore that arrow. That was a quick drawing so I modified a standard Shaka front end a little.

Sir_Edward_V

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2007, 03:37:07 AM »
Well the time came to build this two days ago, "finished" it today then tested it out, and I did something wrong!

My main questions are: How am I supposed to wire the ground, positive, and negative leads from my board? I have the positive going to the necessary +9V for the 4558 chip and the +9 on the diagram.  I have the negative going to the negative on the 4558 chip.  Then, I have the grounds all wired to one point then out to the grounds on the input and output jacks.  Also, which way is the pot supposed to be wired?  I think I have the center being where the arrow is and the right side where it leads to the out on the 4558 chip and nothing to the one on the left.

When I plug stuff in and try to work it, without power it leaves my clean signal, then when its plugged in I get nothing...

I might have messed up the 9V source wiring too...

One more thing: how would I wire it so it turns off when the input jack is not plugged in?  I know I need to use a stereo input jack, so I bought one, but I dont know what to do...

Thanks in advance

Barcode80

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2007, 03:53:26 AM »
first problem is in general stompbox making, negative IS ground, they are not two separate leads. second, you want to tie all the grounds on the schem to negative and all the 9v connections to your positive.

for the pot, the arrow connecting from the right to the middle means that with the pot facing shaft down, the middle and right lugs should be connected together and wired to the right side of the cap, and the left lug should be on the left of the cap.

to wire the input jack the way you want, you will need to connect the grounds to the sleeve lug of the jack, the negative lead of the battery or power source to the ring lug, and the input going to the circuit or switch to the tip lug.

aron

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2007, 01:00:10 PM »
>first problem is in general stompbox making, negative IS ground, they are not two separate leads. second, you want to tie all the grounds on the schem to negative and all the 9v connections to your positive.

hmmmm the first step is probably to read the FAQ and maybe check out the wiring diagrams on this very forum which details how to wire the board and the jacks. I think every question the builder has posted is in http://www.diystompboxes.com/cnews/FAQ.html

Sir_Edward_V

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 12:10:00 AM »
Well I think I finally have everything wired correctly. I have the negative pole from the power going to the grounds from the board, as well as to to sleeves of the input and output jacks.  This way I was able to get normal sound out of it, but it was VERY distorted as it got even a little bit louder. The only things different from the diagram as far as I can tell is I have a 50K pot instead of a 25K and a 330pF cap instead of the 220 pF cap

would either of those cause this distortion?

Sir_Edward_V

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2007, 12:28:22 AM »
actually I think it might be fine, I put in a different brand of IC and it works better. I'll have to try it out again when I can play at a normal volume (parents are sleeping), but I think it will be good.  I think I will get a 25K pot instead, because around halfway it gets distorted.  that will give me more precise control right?

again, thanks for all the help

Sir_Edward_V

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 03:23:43 AM »
Yup, I'm satisfied with it, thanks for everything!