Author Topic: Sound/Tone of the Boost  (Read 9129 times)

aron

Re: Sound/Tone of the Boost
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2007, 04:49:50 AM »
Now you can feed it more than 9V for more headroom if you want.

Congratulations on getting it going.

llanafreak44

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2007, 02:51:27 AM »
Hi, i've been thinking of building this boost because I really need one for leads and such. The question I have is, will it really make a BIG volume boost that will make me cut through the mix, because we only have one guitar player.

micro

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2007, 02:20:16 PM »
Well I dont know much about building pedals, but when we talk about audio "cutting through the mix" we are
generally refering to the tone and timbre, not volume. For example, if you are mixing a song and you want the bass to cut through,
you go for the EQ rather than the fader. Volume is usually not the solution. That being said, if you just want more volume, why
can't you just turn yourself up on the mixing board? Or are you not using one?

llanafreak44

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2007, 06:06:29 PM »
Sorry for the misunerstanding, but I'm talking about live music. We only have one guitarist (me), and when you go from rhythm to leads, the leads are too quiet. But if I just turn up my volume, the chords will be WAY too loud covering everything. So will this boost be able to make up for that?

CGDARK

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2007, 06:17:00 PM »
Sorry for the misunerstanding, but I'm talking about live music. We only have one guitarist (me), and when you go from rhythm to leads, the leads are too quiet. But if I just turn up my volume, the chords will be WAY too loud covering everything. So will this boost be able to make up for that?

If you want volume boost you have to use the booster in the effects loop or after the preamp if it is a tube amp, because with a booster placed in front of the tube amp input you will obtain more distortion instead of volume boost. If it is a solid state amp it doesn't matter where you put the booster, it will do the job.

CG

micro

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2007, 06:39:17 PM »
if I just turn up my volume, the chords will be WAY too loud covering everything. So will this boost be able to make up for that?

im confused.