Author Topic: Problem with my pedal... Extreme distortion.  (Read 4290 times)

Muthauzem

Problem with my pedal... Extreme distortion.
« on: May 25, 2007, 09:46:14 PM »
It's been a week or two that I've build the NPN Booster...

It worked very fine... but I didn't have an enclosure to put the whole thing...

Today I got an plastic enclosure... I drilled it, covered it with Aluminium Foil and fitted everything inside...

But the 47uf capacitor didn't let me screw the pot properly. So I desoldered it and soldered in the back of the pot...

When I was testing it, the sound seemed extremely distorted... Really really distorted... Not even close to the effect I got when I first built it..

I tried to change the transistor, tried to remove the pedal from the enclosure, checked a lot of times to see if there wasn't something in short... but I have found nothing...

Anyone can help me?

aron

Re: Problem with my pedal... Extreme distortion.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 10:11:20 PM »
The only thing that could get damaged is the transistor. Other than that, check your solder joints, maybe something came apart.

Might be time to check this out:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0

Sir_Edward_V

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 03:26:24 PM »
the 47 uF cap is an e-cap isn't it?

I'd say make sure you didn't put it back on backwards

aron

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 08:02:20 PM »
Hey, good call!

Muthauzem

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 08:56:19 PM »
Lol.. I tried some things... But gave up...

The thing got very weird.. When the guitar volume was low, the effect worked a little better, But when I increased it, everything got fuzzier o.O The "Gain" control of the Overdrive in the Amp was working (Adding more distortion) even with the OD turned off... And there was a terrible pop when I turned the whole amp off =x

I'll try to build a new board tomorrow, which is good because I have to save a lot of space to everything fit in the enclosure... and I'll try to change the cap in the pot to see if it wasn't damaged or something...

Thank You.

Meanderthal

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 12:48:28 PM »
 Sounds like there might have been DC offset in the output... which would indicate a bad output cap. Maybe.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

Muthauzem

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 02:22:21 PM »
you mean the 10uf cap, in this case?