Cornish TB-83 biasing question

Started by yetionbass, February 18, 2022, 11:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yetionbass

Hi folks,

Cloning Rangemasters is pretty common and I've built a few myself with all the biasing information being readily available on the interwebz. However, I stumbled upon a schematic for Pete Cornish's take on the treble booster and it made a lot of sense to me. I didn't have any BC182L's, but I do have some BC549B's that I figured would be great in for this, perhaps with some tweaking. I did reduce the 1k resistor at the base to 330R to compensate for having a (presumably) less gainy transistor and also messed around with lowering the value of the feedback capacitor between the emitter and base (.47n sounded good to me, might go a little higher and split the difference from the original 1n) just to let a little more top end through.

Currently, it biases with 6 Volts off the collector and sounds pretty good, but I'm not really having any luck finding any information on how the original TB-83 should bias. Any tips or insight would be super.

antonis

Quote from: yetionbass on February 18, 2022, 11:52:24 AM
I'm not really having any luck finding any information on how the original TB-83 should bias.

Set resistor values and do the math..  :icon_wink:

"I'm getting older while being taught all the time" Solon the Athenian..
"I don't mind  being taught all the time but I do mind a lot getting old" Antonis the Thessalonian..

zbt

I have luck with VC of

BC149C - 6.23V
BC182L - 6.41V
BC238B - 6.37V
BC239C - 6.31

so BC549 should be OK, remember R.G. Keen laws  http://www.geofex.com/effxfaq/keenslaws.htm

:)