Author Topic: sorry but i'm having a problem  (Read 3432 times)

stompinstuff

sorry but i'm having a problem
« on: May 18, 2007, 03:55:29 AM »
Don't want to annoy anyone in asking another "its broked" question :-\ :-[ but i was wondering if anyone new why my pedal isn't working properley. i Set it all up, put it inside its enclosure, drilled the enclosure, wired it together, and everythings working but instead of boosting the signal its just cutting out the treble and a bit of volume. Its got a new battery and its doing the opposite to what i wanted it to do :icon_rolleyes:
Thanks for any help
Carl

aron

Re: sorry but i'm having a problem
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 05:21:09 AM »
Simple answer? You have a wiring problem somehow.

See this thread:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=29816.0

Meanderthal

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 12:43:30 PM »
 It's cool, don't be afraid to ask, it's what we're here for. ;)

Ditto what aron said.

Possibly, it may be shorting to the grounded inside of the enclosure somewhere.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

stompinstuff

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 03:51:36 AM »
Thanks. It's been awhile since i've last been on coz of exams, what do you mean by shorting to the grounded inside of the enclosure somewhere? Does this mean that my grounds touching the enclosure, or any wire is touching the enclosure? I also probed around abit while it was on and found it was buzzing quite a bit on the transistor socket (IC socket) when i pressed on it so i'll try and fix the soldering on it. Also, does anyone know what to use to cover wires and other bare parts (like heatsink but something cheaper)?
Cheers

solarplexus

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 01:28:17 PM »
as soon as you have a part (other than knobs and jacks) or a solder joint touching the enclosure, the whole circuit shorts out and there's usually no sound.  Since you do hear something in the circuit I would verify the wiring and then parts placement/value.

GibsonGM

• more
  • Awesome!
  • Mike Parker (aka. Guitar Mike, Parks, etc)
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 02:20:13 PM »
One thing that helps is ensuring the circuit works OUT of the enclosure.  I try to wire them up with the right lengths of wire to fit the box, but don't put it in until I know it's working OK.  Then, any problems that arise are like listed above, shorts to the enclosure or rough handling pulled a wire, etc.   If it doesn't work outside the box, that's another debugging topic! 

You can get heatshrink tubing pretty cheaply on the next (try Smallbear).  It works great, and is really neat.  Or, if you have to, you can use electrical tape (not neat, eventually may fall off).  I have even used duct tape in desperation, but only on things that don't really need insulation - parts that will not move inside the box no matter what - just to be safe.  I do not recommend that, however, LOL.   A little silicon sealer can work, too (messy) - I stick LEDs to the inner surface of enclosures with it sometimes, just the tip poking thru.

Be patient, ask ?'s, you'll get it working  :)
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...