What tube distortion can go from soft overdrive to mega shread high gain.

Started by dirk, May 30, 2007, 05:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirk

Hello,

I'm looking for a tube distortion that has it all. Soft warm overdrive to spine crunching high gain. It will be used for bass guitar and synthesizers.

I have searched but I only found the McTube and that does not do soft overdrive.

Any other solutions, or do I have to build 2 tube distortions?

mattpocket

Built: LofoMofo, Dist+, Active AB Box, GGG 4 Channel Mixer, ROG Omega
On the Bench:Random Number Generator, ROG Multi-face, Speak & Spell
--------------------------------------------
My Pop-Punk Band - www.myspace.com/stashpocket

dirk

Quote from: mattpocket on May 30, 2007, 05:29:23 AM
Why does it need to be tube? :-\

Matt

I already have build a fuzzface, a few ts-808's, a bigmuff and a rat, so now I want to try tubes.

mattpocket

dirk

Quote from: mattpocket on May 30, 2007, 05:38:41 AM
Dont any of those pedals give you a sound you like?

Matt
I like building stompboxes, and have never tried a tube one.
So now I want to try that and see how it sounds.

Know anything worth building?

MartyMart

Arons Shaka Tube will do soft to medium gain but wont "shred" - perhaps if boosted up
front, for "high gain" tube sounds, you need more stages which = noise !
I dont know of any that run at the starved plate voltages, aron sells the EH transformer, which
will take your voltage up to "tube amp" type numbers , then just pick a preamp from some well
known higher gain Tube amp circuits ?? ..... SLO ..... Trainwreck ,,, BUT they will have their own
"lead dress" problems , which are X10 when wanting to put them in a floor pedal !  :icon_eek:

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

mattpocket

Could you build a lower gain one and put a booster in to drive it up to shred?

runmikeyrun

it's difficult to build a pedal that will go from soft to mega shred, otherwise every company would just build one pedal that anyone could use.  You either have to lean towards the soft end or shred end, or make two stages and have the first one switchable for the shred.  I would find a schem for a simple tube preamp like a marshall jcm800 that's fairly simple and benign and then you can build that... then tweak it to get the sound you want.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

QSQCaito

Quote from: runmikeyrun on May 30, 2007, 10:08:32 AM
it's difficult to build a pedal that will go from soft to mega shred, otherwise every company would just build one pedal that anyone could use.  You either have to lean towards the soft end or shred end, or make two stages and have the first one switchable for the shred.  I would find a schem for a simple tube preamp like a marshall jcm800 that's fairly simple and benign and then you can build that... then tweak it to get the sound you want.

Or maybe they just don't do it because they won't be having 135 different distorsions to sell, but just one. Which means less profit. ::)
D.A.C

Steben

Quote from: QSQCaito on May 30, 2007, 10:37:45 AM
Quote from: runmikeyrun on May 30, 2007, 10:08:32 AM

Or maybe they just don't do it because they won't be having 135 different distorsions to sell, but just one. Which means less profit. ::)

Well I wonder... A "super"pedal would sell big time. And production could be "streamlined" to that pedal.

I remember a story 'bout German tanks vs Russian ones. The German production was a flaw, because they had tons of different production types.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

mattpocket

Maybe behringer would have a chance at making a half decent pedal! haha  ;D

Oooh, I'm evil! ;D :icon_evil:

d95err

When a product is claimed to be able to do *everything* it usually does - just not very well. I'd rather have a stompbox/amp/guitar that can do one really good sound, than one that can do 100 bad sounds...  ;)

sfx1999

Super-high-gain tube amps tend to have two channels; clean and lead. It is almost impossible to get both (although I've heard the AX84 P2 could, but it seems like almost no one has built it).

Usually, you will need a switch to bypass stages to get clean tones.

High gain tube amps are NOT beginner builds. You have to shield the entire signal path, get the grounding right, etc.

brett

The Real McTube is quite wild.
For a long time I worked on taming my Real McTube.  For you, it seems ideal.
Like all high gain circuits, you'll need to be a bit careful with the layout and grounding.
More info, pcbs etc are at tonepad.com
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

fikri

Check out the westbury pedal. It is on the R.g's website. Maybe you could do something with the diode clipping to switch it in or out.

aron

Maybe the EH English Muff'n with NOS 12AX7 Mullards. But then the pedal might cost you over $500. Well, I have to try mine out again.

bancika

The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here